What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

My 95¢ Trip To Dillon's

This morning I went to the Honor Roll Assembly at my son's school. I was there promptly at 9:20 to get a good seat. I got a really good seat. The assembly is tomorrow.

So, that left me up and dressed with nothing to do. So, of course, I headed to a thrift store! I got a neat wooden drum called a Gato Drum for $3.00 and a big blue speckled enamel stockpot, strainer, colandar and lid for $1.00. I took those to the car since they were awkward and heavy. Then I came back in and found three sets of French Grammar, Conversation and Vocabulary cards still in the sealed packages for a total of 90¢ - they were $12.95, $6.95 and $6.95 originally. I also got a really cool sparkly Lycra Baseball Jersey from the Graceland Softball team. That's for ebay, for sure! Also for ebay - an antique rug hooking tool for $1.00, a few doilies and some Shabby Chic metal toleware thinga-ma-bobs. I also got a nice leather purse for $1.00 for myself, a colbalt blue candy jar to hide some of those Kisses from a below post and three shirts for DS and DH for 50¢-75¢ each. I also picked up some misc. litle junky toys for DS, some books and some computer software. I spent a total of $12.50 for everything.

That put my just up the street from Dillon's so I decided to go there and see what deals I could find. They had a lot of the Pepsi/Lays promos going on again. I bought three bags of Doritoes for $1.88 each and got a free 12pack of Pepsi. They also had a Kellogg's promotion - buy 4 cereals get TWO 4 packs of Dannon Fruit Smoothies for free. I had coupons for the cereal, so I ended up paying $6.00 for four boxes of cereal and the two four packs of Smoothies. Up by the registers they had all the Christmas items in carts. A lot of it was Hallmark items and some Christmas items too. Everything was marked at 1/2 off, but the sign said, "25¢ each" no matter what it was marked. I got three James Taylor CD's that were priced at $14.98 each, two Thomas Kinkade tins that were priced at $5.98 and two boxes of Christams Cards that were priced at $12.50 each for a total of $1.75. When I paid, a coupon printed out for a FREE box of Hot Pockets. I love those coupons that print out! After I paid, I noticed they were adding to the Clearance baskets, so I took another look. OH MY GOODNESS! She was adding Glade Thomas Kinkade Vanilla candles to the carts at 25¢ each. I, OF COURSE, had coupons (!) for $1.00/2. I gathered them all up - there were 22 total. I ran back and got the free Hot Pocket since I was there and headed to the register. The candles scanned at 25¢ each, but the coupons scanned at $1.00 each. I was able to use 5 coupons for $5.00 off the $5.50 total. Then she subtracted $2.24 for the Hot Pockets, which my Shopper Card lowered to $1.94. When it was all said and done - I paid 95¢ for 22 Candles and the Hot Pockets. My coupons were going to expire on Saturday, so this was great timing! Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas next year.......

Hint of the Day: If you ever find your self out witho nothing to do - go deal hunting! It's a great high!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers