What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, April 09, 2011

What I Didn't Know Back Then

Everytime I had ever been in the Breadman's parents house people would say, "Boy, have you got a big job cleaning this place out someday!"  Of course, I thought this would be years and years later.  But, they both died with in months of each other about seven years ago.   Cleaning out the house was a HUGE deal - we filled a giant Dumpster to the top full of paint splattered kitchen appliances, old towels, ratty clothes and out of date grocery items (Some so old that The Breadman realized they had actually moved with them twice!).  In my eyes, the entire house was full of absolute crap.  There was very little that we brought home - a old wooden table, a 25 gallon sauerkraut crock, a milk can from his Grandparent's Dairy Farm, an old sausage grinder and a few other old items.  The Bean gathered up all the Leo Ward Bluebird's of Happiness to keep and the rest was either sold or donated to charity.  The last customer of the day expressed in interest in the dryer and we ended up giving it to him along with the living room furniture, the microwave, boxes of dishes and towels and I don't know what all else.  He spoke Spanish and wasn't 100% sure that we were giving it to him, so he called in an English speaking buddy who we reassured that it was definitely all free - anything left in the house was his for the taking.  They took it all and we were grateful for it.  I like to think that somewhere, the Breadman's parents house was completely re-created with all that stuff.  But, I bet they had a yard sale and sold it all.

At some point before the sale, my Mom came to help and looked around.  I honestly have no memory of this, but she apparently did some shopping and bought a few things.  Earlier this week called to tell me that she had something that she bought at the sale to bring me.  Well, why would I want anything from there?  I had sold it all.  It was junk.  I didn't want it......then.  

So, what did she buy back then and bring to me this week?  What had I priced at only two stinking dollars back then?
A ginormous Easter Bunny Blow Mold!  Argh!  What was I thinking??????

I wasn't into vintage back then so I just didn't see it for it's coolness.  But, now!  Fantabulous!

Now, if you are wondering if I let any more fabulous things go, I did not.  The house truly was filled with crap.  And it all had to go.  But, I am thankful that my Mom saved this bunny from the sale and that she has given it back to me!  Thanks Mumsie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the curious, I did go to the Church, but not until the car was done at 2:00.  The Church was still full of stuff, but I really only found a few things to buy.  I'll share those tomorrow.  Nothing too exciting, but with those things and what I found today at the thrift - I had an okay weekend.  (HINT:  A tisket, a tasket, I found a Redman basket....) 

5 comments:

  1. Whoa! Look on my blog! I have the same blo mold bunny! Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shara,
    This post reminded me of my parent's house. My father never told me that he was going to sell the family home so I didn't have a chance to go through the family things. Now I seem to be spending time and money buying things that they used to have. I was able to save items that he considered valuable but not the cool old midcentury modern things that he considered "junk". Oh well. I love your giant bunny. Can't wait to see what you thrifted this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that the things we thought were junk or crappie when we were growing up are now cool and we spend lots of time chasing them down.
    Hope you got some goodies this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that blow mold bunny! So glad your Mom saw it's value back then! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to your comment on my blog: You should definitely take a picture with the chicken! (I took a pic with the turkey too). The people that work there came out when we were taking the picture-- a little awkward but they assumed we were tourists.

    Also I love the stuffed vintage bunnies in your new blog header! I only have one but am on the hunt for more.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers