What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I knew it!

I'm back. Loads and loads of laundry to tend to here at the old monkeybox. I'll be back with stories, lovely photos and the WINNER of the giveaway soon.  We had an awesome weekend filled with good times and beautiful weather.  It was great!

*As for the winner - I have decided to make the box first, then pick a winner.

I'll leave you with a funny story.  Shortly after my Grandmother's Memorial Service, we moved down to the Reflecting Pond to watch the ducks and hand out in this big gazebo so we could visit.  I walked over to this big dead tree that had been carved with birds on it. 
As I was starting to take the photo, this group of people walked up and stood in front of it. As I looked at them, I said to The Bean, "Those people look like they are from Arkansas." Now, I am a proud Arkansan, but I do go to Tractor Pulls, Sorghum Festivals and Apple Festivals, so I do see my fair share of plaid flannel shirts, Wranglers and boots.  It's not like the people of Topeka, Kansas are style setters, but this particular group of people just looked like a group I would see on a normal day.  I knew where they were parked, so I walked up for a closer look and...........


HA!  Cracked me up!  They were from Arkansas!  I asked them where they were from, and after they got the "just fell off a turnip truck" look off their face, they responded a town only about 20 miles away from me.  I guess I just took them by surprise.  They had recently moved to Topeka from Arkansas, so they weren't expecting to see anyone that "recognized" them.  It cracked me and the relatives up that I could spot a fellow Arkansawyer from a distance!

*I've never decided if I am an Arkansan or an Arkansawyer.  I think I am the former and not the latter.

**I just realized it is 4:00 and I haven't made the bed yet.  I think I may have gotten used to Maid Service! 

1 comment:

  1. Too funny, Shara, that you could just TELL! Am glad you had a good trip and I know how you feel about laundry. My husband unpacks his suitcase by dumping it all in the dirty clothes basket. I, on the other hand, take about a week to unpack mine! Can't wait to find out the winner of the contest and hear what you're sending them.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers