What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Weekend Finds - Back to the Junk!

Okay, so April Fool on that last post.  Septic tanks - ick.  Junk - Yeah!

I left the house kind of late today and I paid the price for it.  The Bean may be nearly *16* but he still likes to laze around the house on Saturday mornings and watch YugiOh.  A bit of childhood nostalgia, I suppose.  It takes me awhile to talk him into staying home and letting me go hit some sales.  He likes to go and help me carry things and load the car.  He really is just the most helpful and nicest young man.   (If I do say so myself). 

I went to the Super Cheap Thrift and to about five yard sales - and I hardly bought a thing.  I saw lots of clothes and lots and lots of baby clothes (one sale offered me a huge gift bag - like big enough for a tricycle - and told me to fill it full of baby clothes for $1.00!)  But, my knowledge of shoes, clothes and baby clothes is nil, so I passed.  I bet I missed some good money makers, not to mention some really cute stuff!

I did buy this "bag lady" cart.  I know that isn't a politically correct name for it - but that's what I have always called them.  This is my third one, so I might need to think about selling one (or two) at the booth.  When I spotted this one today, I knew I didn't need it, but when I was told it was only $3.00, I knew I had to buy it.  Have you seen on the blogs where they dress them all up in burlap sacks and ruffles and pockets and old keys and such? 


I think this is for golf balls or shot glasses, but it will be used to hold smalls (really small smalls) in the booth.  I got two for 75¢ total so even after I add in a can or two of white spray paint, they were still a good deal.

What's that?  Hmmmmm.  I know do you?  It's a Lollipop Tree.  There is a local candy company that makes those big round suckers that you buy at the store for 89¢ or so each.  This is a countertop tree to hold suckers for sale.  We go out to the candy company a couple times a year and buy five pound bags of "Flop Pops" for five dollars.  Flop Pops are rejects - not quite round enough, too small, broken, wrong color, wrong flavor, inside out labels and the like.  They are still quite tasty and it's fun to put a bright red sucker in your mouth only to discover it's actually coconut.  :D  Now I can display our Flop Pops as if they weren't, well...flops. 

And, a bit of Easter tackiness.  Velvety flocked eggs, bunnies and chicks.  I plucked these out of a very badly crocheted basket that I "think" was supposed to resemble a duck, but I wouldn't swear to it.  I really did not want to drag that basket home and then have to schlep it to another thrift to redonate it (and risk the chance someone might think "I" had a hand in making that atrocity!), so I took the things out and asked if I could just buy them.  I paid 75¢ for the whole tacky lot.

A one eyed chick and a one eyed duck (...walk into a bar...).  I do believe that the pompom chick will be donating his one good eye to the flocked chick and then he will get a brand new matching set of googly eyes.  Good as new!

So!  What did you find this weekend?

9 comments:

  1. Your bag lady cart is a steal and I'm drooling over your vintage Easter goodies. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great deals you found! I have one of the bag lady carts that I use when I go to craft shows, but I paid more than $3 for it! The shot glass box was a steal! I use mine (again paid too much) for my shot glass collection and small trinkets. Great shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of carts like that, I call them granny carts! You found some great deals-good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O, I hope to find one of those carts! I think they would be great for flea and animal swap (a glorified livestock and junk flea market) season!

    Looove the vintage Easter junk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no use whatsoever for one of those csrts, but I have always wanted one. I would love to find one so cheap, I'm not sure what I would use it for but I'd think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I meant to say carts not csrts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous of your smalls case/shelf! How awesome. I am jonesing to change my space around and I want new shelving so bad I cannot stand it. I'm sick of my shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have three of those granny carts myself. But all mine have wheels in the front too, so you don't have to lift them to move them. I take one to the big flea market every time I go. In the early days of the booth, I used them to move stuff in, but my loads quickly got too big for that to be practical. I should probably get rid of at least one of them, but haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonder of all wonders my husband stopped at a thrift for me in one of the small towns were driving thru on our way to his Dad's from the funeral. Found some cute stuff to put on Etsy but nothing earth shattering. They have loads of snow up here in Minnesota - we go home on Friday! Love your vintage Easter and I have one of those carts - it was my sister's who actually used it for groceries!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers