What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Thank you


Clematis at my Grandmother's house.

Hi. You guys are so sweet.  I really appreciate all the sweet comments and emails I have gotten this week.  They really meant the world to me. 

This has been a really hard week.  My Grandmother had been a great big old pain in the Wazoo to take care of the last few months.  But, she was still my Grandma.  In fact, she's the only Grandparent I ever had my entire life.  She was in a lot of pain and not herself the past few months.  I have to keep reminding myself of that fact. 

She didn't want a funeral or even an Obituary.  She is controlling even in death.  But, that was her way.  We are doing a family Memorial Service later this Fall back in KS, just so the family can have a bit of closure.  By Memorial Service, I mean a family reunion of sorts in the park with Fried Chicken and Potato Salad.  Whatever works, right?

So, guess who's been put in charge of sorting through the house, donating and having an Estate Sale?   Me.  No surprise there, I suppose.  I was pointing out some Mid Century Furniture to my Uncle and he suggested a price of $50.00 for a three piece set.  And a Redwood Burl table for $25.00.  So, it might be a good idea that I am "in charge".  It's my Mom and me doing it, but I "know my stuff" as we like to say.  I have an artistic family, so there is a lot of photography, artwork, pottery and other creative things in her home.  A lot of that will go with family members.  Like I said, she wasn't your typical 84 year old.

Luckily for me, most of that stuff isn't really my taste, so I don't have to be bogged down by wanting to bring a lot of stuff into my already packed house.  I have found a few cool things and I know I will find more as time goes by, but they are mostly older things that belonged to my Great Grandmother (like a fabulous set of 12 snack trays in the same colors as those old Aluminum Tumblers and an apron with built in potholder pockets).  I know it's soon soon to be going through  a lot of stuff, but some of the family was here and needed to take a few things back with them since they were here.

And, lastly, here's Peach.  She's such a sweet girl and we love her so much.  Her new Mom came and picked her up on Tuesday.  That was even harder than seeing my Grandmother go.  But, she has an wonderful new Mom that loves her so much and she will have a good life.  We are going to go visit her next week. 

Thanks again everyone.  I was really touched by all of you.  (((Hugs))))

5 comments:

  1. You have an amazing attitude. If I lived closer to you in distance, I know that I would want to hang out with you! I am keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sooner you clean it all out and move on the better for your whole family. your grandmother must of had a soft spot some where she had a sweet dog. I too am going through my moms things a year and a half later. Believe me it is better to do it all at once soon. leaving it is like tearing off a bandage slowly.
    God Bless I will keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shara,
    I hadn't read this post or your last one. Sorry for your loss. It sounds like a complex situation, but you'll get back into a happy flow in time.

    Thank you once again for your thoughtful gift.

    Sincerely
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shara I am so glad you seem to be doing well. It is never easy but doing the sorting and pricing at least has kept you busy. I think a family get together is a wonderful thing if she was so against funerals. They are for the living not the person who passed on. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I would be there is a New York minute if finances allowed.

    You can always vent to me when you feel bogged down with the sorting and selling.

    (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers