What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cute. Cheap. What More Could You Want?

I stopped in at Lowe's today to buy a replacement handle for our shower that has gone from a drip, drip, drip to a dribble, dribble, dribble to a constant trickle. The good news is that the shower no longer leaks. (I won't mention the three hour part where it did NOT fit, we had to turn off the water in the entire house, make a return trip to Lowe's for additional parts, a major hissy fit from the Breadman when I pointed out that he didn't use all of the parts that were included in the package, the sobbing fit I had when he yelled at me for mentioning the aforementioned missing parts and the fact that the handle is crooked and the "H" is where the "C" should be and "C" is where the "H" should be. But, like I said, I won't mention that....   (I will say that I am the person that fixes everything and I was going to fix it tomorrow AFTER the dishes were done, hands were washed, toilets were flushed and showers were done. I'm just sayin'...)

Okay, so when I was at Lowe's and I was headed to the Plumbing Aisle, I spotted a 50% off sign, which sent my cart reeling off in the opposite direction. The Patio Furniture had a 50% off sign by it, but the actual shelf tags were at least 75% off. They had various tables, screens, market umbrellas and other items all very cheap. But, what did I spot that made my heart sing with happiness?

A wee little child's metal Motel Chair.  OH MY GOSH!  I didn't even know these existed.  I have ten adult sized vintage chairs like this in my yard as well as two different vintage gliders.  I love old metal lawn chairs. 

I found three of the little chairs, but one box was open and I feared it might be missing parts.  I bought this sweet pale yellow one and a green one as well.  Have I mentioned that I love them?

And, the best part?

$4.99.

I know!

(BTW, I do not care that I do not have or even know a child that can sit in these chairs.  I love them!)

**Edited to add that The Breadman, in an effort to redeem himself from the shower fixing fiasco, brought the third little chair home to me today as an "I'm sorry" gift.  So, now I have two green ones and the yellow one.  Bring your kids over for a visit sometime!

7 comments:

  1. I work in a hardware, and we always say that you know just how successful a project is by the number of times you have to return to the hardware store (even if it is that 'big box store')... so if you only had to go twice - that was a pretty darn successful project!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story! Thanks for the giggles...why do most men feel that they don't need to use all the parts included?? I also fell for the kid sized motel chair...I do have a grandchild, but by the time I see her, she will have outgrown this chair for sure...I bought the yellow, but mine was 9.99...guess I should have waited for the next markdown! :O} *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I am so jealous! I would love to have those little chairs for my kiddos! I'm sure they are all gone here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw those cute chairs too at our Lowe's... I'm gonna run in there today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you and I would be peas in a pod! I collect old metal Lawn Chairs/benches/tables and fix them up to go to the Casablanca. Haha right now I have 32 pieces! SO its good to knwo im not the only one who has ample ammounts of seating haha! *fingers crossed on the shower repair!*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I would so buy this chair. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband saw those a few weeks ago at Lowe's. They were on sale, too but I'm not sure they were THAT cheap. I *think* he said there was a small table that went with the set, too. We didn't buy them, though. Now that I see a picture of them, I am sorry that I didn't.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers