What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

A Halloween Swap for YOU

SWAP IS FULL!  
THANK YOU!

I'm up to my ears with school, my house, my Grandmother's house, Wills, the Booth and many other things.  So, what better time to host a SWAP?  Ha!  Actually, I need something to keep my hands and mind busy when I do have a minute of downtime.  And, I do enjoy a good project.

Here's my idea - slightly my own, slightly stolen from another blog.  Ahem.  ;o)

I need eight people to participate.  Each one will make a  6" x 4" (or there abouts) section of a banner representing a letter of HALLOWEEN.  Once you complete your letters- mail them to me (along with $3.00 for part of the mailing costs) and I will put them on a length of ribbon, so that once you receive it, you can just hang it up and enjoy it. You do need to be willing to make nine identical letters.  You can extend it off the edges and corners, make it either direction...do whatever you want.  Just have FUN!

You can make you letter cute or spooky or happy or silly or vintage or new or modern or whatever floats your boat.  It can have the letter prominent in the center, or off center - whatever - just make sure it is plainly visible and sort of big.  You don't want it to say HALLoWEEN.  Caps or Lower case are okay. It can be round or rectangle or a triangle.  Don't forget to punch two holes in the corners!

Now here's the tricky part.  I need GOOD reliable people for this swap.  I had a flaker on my egg swap, which was a bummer, but at least that just meant everyone got one less egg than they should have gotten.  If we have a flaker this time, we will get banners that say, 'HALLWEEN" or "HALLOWEE".  Not good.... 

So, if you are a good reliable swapper and a good crafter (by good I mean, you like to make crafts and you do it consistently) send me an email to monkeybox@juno.com saying "LET ME IN! LET ME IN!"  As soon as we have eight (I'm the 9th!) people, I will post that the swap is FULL and send letter assignments out to each person.

Now as for actual swap ideas:  You could sew a 6x4 piece of felt and embellish it, cut up an old greeting card and use it, make it out of cardstock, construction paper, an old book page, whatever says YOU.  Add glitter, doodads, ghosts, pumpkins, candy corn, trinkets, bats, anything fun - make a collage, make a mini piece or artwork, make if fun!!!! 

Hopefully we can fill this up by this weekend and I can pass out assignments.  I need to have them in my hands by October 4th so I can string 'em up and get 'em in the mail. 

Sounds like fun, huh?!?!?  So, email me!  (And, if you really, really want a certain letter - let me know!)

7 comments:

  1. Cute idea but i'm not crafty so I will just look at them when done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I emailed you too! :) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to do it, but WAY TO SWAMPED with crafting for the upcoming holidays. Loved your comment about no flakes - no HALLWEEN or HALLOWEE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:06 AM

    Shara, it's Lynn - I want in too! My daughter just did a scrapbooking swap and I was wishing I could do something. This is perfect - and I don't know what you should do with the fabric. It's not OK just to HAVE fabric and not do anything with it?? I guess I'm in big trouble then, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am craft-challenged, so I'll pass but I'm very excited to see what you crafty ladies come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quick question, do you want the letters all caps or just the "H" in caps??????? Sandy

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers