What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spike!

Yesterday The Bean had his Unified Volleyball Tournament. I don't think I had mentioned that this year, but he was able to play thanks to a wonderful Elementary School Teacher that said he COULD play even though he was now home schooled. We seriously needed to be a part of something again and not feel like an outcast. It was wonderful for him to get back with his friends and have his old life back for a short time. Unified Volleyball is part of the Special Olympics. There are six members on each Volleyball Team. Three Special Olympic Athletes and three teammates. It is a really great program that teaches the kids that some kids ae visibly disabled and others are not. It teaches them to respect each other, get along no matter what the odds and have fun doing it. Everyone cheers everyone else on even when the opposing team scores!
This was my view behind the net. Actually, I could see pretty well, but the net caused a reaction to my flash and made it look like a wall. So, this is virtually a picture less event. DH was a line coach. I help coach at all the practices, but at the Tournament, I am MOM and watch The Bean play and root them on. I am also responsible for the rest of the hooligans that aren't playing. They have to sit in the stands and tell me if they are leaving and why. Luckily, they all like me so they behave and we had a good time.
His team, appropriately named....wait for it.....The Green Team, won Second Place. Yeah! This was his third year - first place twice and second this year, so that's a pretty good record. See that girl next to him on the right? He's going to mary her someday. But, I digress. Here's the whole gang all colorized this year, tuckered out and done for another year.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see The Bean participating in something he really enjoys. :) And happy to hear they did so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just a sampling of what I do day in and day out. You can see why my job is rewarding.

    It is character building at it's best, for ALL involved. Yeah for Bean!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers