What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday FInds

Thursday morning there was a Moving Sale in a neighboring town. I really didn't think it would amount to much, but decided to make and early morning run just for the heck of it. I was right - absolute junk with the exception of a large amount of vintage Pyrex sitting on shelves. I got excited when I spotted the Pyrex - especially a set of nesting Ballerina bowls. Then I saw the $30.00 price tag. Yikes. I spent 25¢ on an old blue Ball jar.

There is a thrift in that town that I have never never to before so we decided to check it out. When I walked in the door, the lady said it was $2.00 Bag Sale Day. I declined a bag, because I really only saw clothes, but then I walked past the linen section and saw this tablecloth peeking out:
And under that was this tablecloth:
Which had this tablecloth under it:
Which was covering up this tablecloth:
Which led me to find this tablecloth at the bottom of the pile.

Five vintage tablecloths!
In one place.
On $2.00 Bag Day!
I also found two solid white linen tablecloths - each with eight matching napkins that I threw into the bag too. I also bought a bag full of small embroidered doileys, potholders, napkins and a lot more stuff. My third bag was stuffed with 42 vintage 1940's zippers in their original packages, vintage crepe paper and crepe streamers, vintage sequins and glitter and lots of other vintagey crafty stuff. I spent $6.00 on three bags stuffed to the max! Guess where I will be on the first Thursday of the month next month???

I got this *"mess of buttons" at the thrift on Tuesday for $1.00. *That would be a Hillbilly Mountain Creepy Guy Phrase.

This apron was in the bag sale stuff. It is terry cloth like a towel. Not sure if I would have "bought it" but since it fit in the bag, in it went.
I found this large piece of matte white pottery at a thrift earlier in the week for $1.00. The Bean said, "That stuff just finds you, doesn't it?" Since then, I found a small white deer at the bag sale and a cupid at a sale today. Yep, it finds me, alright.

I got these in the bag sale bags too. They are small panes of glass, each with a white transfer of a piece of coral on it. I have 30 of them! I know there is a crafty use for them. It will come to me. Any ideas?

And now, the find of the day. A 1937 Royal Quiet DeLuxe Portable (if 32 pounds can be considered portable) Typewriter. With GLASS keys. Who-ya!

And, here's the best part. THE BEAN found it! I see they sell from $50.00 to $355.00 for the very same typewriter, so I will have to work on my description so it warrants more towards the higher end of that price. I've learned that part of the bidding comes from a very detailed and accurate description. I've promised him a fat commission when it sells. He earned $25.00 when I sold the MacKenzie Child's stuff - so he knows I am good on my word.

As we left the house at noon today on an emergency Kleenex/pushpop/soup/Vicks run for The Bean who seems ot have acquired the freakin' FLU, I spotted a MOVING SALE three doors down at one of my favorite yearly sales! But, I am a good Mom and I had a sick child with me, so I, well, I went, dadgummit. But, he stayed in the car and rested while I speed shopped. I made a mad dash in and found some cool stuff in about ten minutes. I will post photos next time along with three straight days of Happy Mail.

Until next time, "Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels." Especially not 117 of them. (That's a HINT!) ;o)

9 comments:

  1. If the Glass with coral pieces have holes in them. Join them together with keychain rings and make a room divider, or hang in a window.They are very pretty!! Congrats on all your finds:)


    Dana
    d08@goldingers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:06 PM

    You sound just like the kind of Mom I am!! LOL!! Can't wait to see your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:04 PM

    You know that it made the Bean happy and feel better to know how happy you were to go to that sale! Hope he feels better soon.

    Good luck on the typewriter. It is really cool looking.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thrift has carded buttons, but it is 25¢ per card no matter how many buttons. Some only have one stupid button. Throw the damn things in a grab bag already!

    Can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bean is right--that stuff just FINDS you. Seriously, I've never seen anything like it! Are you this lucky at the lottery too? :)

    The typewriter is drool-worthy. Seriously. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:54 PM

    LOVE the pottery, I can't wait to start thrifting when I get to NC, all new places to explore. I love that you got a bag of vintage craft supplies, that is neeto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooooh, i wanna see the crepe paper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for picking up some buttons I need a couple! lol!

    I saw in the picture of wooden nickels a nickel that said "good for one cup of Coffee" that would be great for crafting. At least IMO. Those remind me of when I was about 15 I went to the orthodontist alot because I had braces and they gave out wooden tokens that looked exactly like those that had the name of the orthodontist and the address and everything, if you came in with clean teeth you got some, they gave you a t-shirt if you wanted one and if you wore it there you got tokens etc. And with them you got prizes. Some were coloring books and toys then it got into more expensive things like gift certificates. I never turned them in for stuff I wasn't interested and most of the stuff was for kids. They eventually stopped giving me the tokens and I think they were upset with me for not turning them in lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a queen of stuffing bags at sales, I get every inch stuffed!!!!! I love the tablecloths and apron!!! I have zillions!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers