What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oh, Happy Mail Day



The official Ginger Bread House of our Christmas. Compliments of The Bean.


Yesterday was a Happy Mail Day at my house. Three packages arrived. The first being a copy of the Cha-Cha Slide by Mr. C The Slide Man. Yes, I ordered it. Do you do know this song? It is so fun to dance to - I am not a dancer (and that is a real understatement) - but it is fun to do it with The Bean. They use it in PE to motivate the kids and keep them moving. We did it yessterday and I was tired when it ended. This is a 12 minute version and I thought it would never end!

The second package was an out of the Blue Christmas goodie package from
Miss Rebecca. She sent me a variety of yummy Christmas goodies including a fun vintage ornamnet, dish towels, a cookie cutter, vintage Christmas napkins, a hotpad and a sweet little book of Christmas tales. She also sent The Bean three very nice keychains from NYC featuring the WTC, Statue of Liberty and NYC itself. Thank you so much for thinking of us Rebecca!

The third package was a huge delightful box of vintage Christmas goodies from Sue, (Sveltestuff). We had agreed to swap vintage Christmas goodies with one another. It's funny, several of the items she sent me are very similar to those that I sent her. Great minds think alike, eh? She absolutely stuffed that box to the gills with all things Christmas-y and all things vintage. I was at somewhat of a disadvantage as she doesn't have a blog, so I don't know her likes and dislikes as well as she likes me. I know she likes VERA and Haegar pottery, but that's about it. But, boy, oh boy, does she know me. First of all, the Card attached had a store on it and she had converted it into a GROCERY STORE to coincide with my Grocery Store village. She also included a very funny old paperback novel entitled The Storekeepr about a grocery store owner. Fun! She, too, as well as Rebecca, included a fat little sack of keychains for The Bean. The kid cleaned up yesterday!

Lots and lots of vintage flocked Santas.

A few of my favorites including a celluloid Santa boot that matches a pair I already have, a celluloid Snowman and the old tin Scotch tape roll on the side. Love my old packaging, you know!

Lots of green Christmas napkins and a slew of red handled chippy old tools. Love them!


Lots of fun old doileys. ANd a copy of Country Home. It's funny. I had just ordered myself a subscription for Country Home magazine yesterday morning. (It was the Deal of the Day for only $3.15!)

Sue did the most wonderfull thing with a doiley. She threaded seam binding and lace through the holes ont eh edges to make a gift bag sort of puch and filled them with goodies. Isn't that a clever idea? I am always pikcing up lace and doileys. Now I have a use for them!

She wrapped all the goodies in vintage fabric, scarves and such. This paricular package was a napkin wrapped with a pipecleaner with jingley bells attached. As soon as I took it out of the box to open, Little lady honed in on it and took it as her own. She carries things around the house and then settles down to hold on to them. Shortly after this picture, she began to wrestle it nd I had to get it away from her wince I didn't know what lied within!

Sue, you sent so many wonderful things, this is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Hope you have fun with your big old box of STUFF too!

Here's wishing a Happy Mail Day to you too!

*PS to Sue and Rebecca - My email server has been down for two days so I can't thank you properly until it is back up. But, I will email you as soon as I can!

Seriously, two days without email. What is this? The STONE AGE?

5 comments:

  1. What lovely treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it was definitely a Oh Happy Mail Day at Shara's house!!

    My DS loves the cha-cha song as well. I got him a couple of the Dancing Playstation games w/the mat for Christmas (okay for Momma, too) but I thought it would be fun for us to play that together and get exercise a t the same time.

    Have fun with your new treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah, too bad I missed that deal on Country Home for 3.15. Which mag website was it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome my friend! And thank you again for sending me those crystals for my sister's bachlorette party. I have to send you a picture of them, they were very cute.

    And buy, Sue DOES know you!

    Hope the Bean liked his keychains. I thought they were kind of vintagy looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shara - GLAD you enjoyed! I just got back from 4 days in NYC, and voila, once again there was a 'Welcome Home' package awaiting me from Shara!! I think DH enjoyed it as much as I did! 'Did you send her this MUCH Stuff?' 'We used to have those' and upon spotting the VERA 'Did you send her some GOOD Stuff too, or just junk?'. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! The little white tree IS our Xmas tree this year, as we didn't get a full-sized one up!
    Anybody who would turn down a chance to swap with Shara is CRAZY!!
    THANKS Again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers