What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Gift For Me

I did a little detective work for my Dad recently. I am computer literate, he is not. He is carliterate, I am not. So, when he needed some research done on a certain part for his 50th Anniversary Edition Ford Thunderbird, he asked me to help. The part he had to sell ended up being worth nearly 4x what he thought it waas worth, thanks to my internet research. On Christmas morning he sold it and he gave me a $200.00 commission. Thanks Dad!

So, rather than wasting it on medical bills or the heat bill, I treated myself to a new digital camera. I thought I had a nice one that took good photos before, but now that I have this one to play with - OMG this thing is the bomb. 8 MP, 6x optical zoom + 3x Digital zoom.

I can take pictures from the other side of the living room and have it turn out like this:



And this:


And this:


And, close-up photos like this:


And, I can take this photo of my kitchen junk:

And make it Black and White:

Or Color Tiinted:

Or even Sepia.


I'm looking forward to a bright sunny non 20 degree day to go out and see what this baby does outside!

I did have it with me yesterday when I made a quick Dollar Tree run and found out tht the bank in the same parking lot had been ROBBED. Eh gads!


Tomorrow I am going to Target to check out the 75% off Christmas stuff. With any luck, it will all be culled over or sold out and I won't have to buy anything. Ha! I will show restraint, I will show restraint, I will show restraint.....

*Kitties in order of appearance: Tiger, Little Lady and Pity

6 comments:

  1. Hey - I think I know some of those 'red handles'!! ;-) Looks like they've made themselves a perfect knew home! Those cats are Beautiful! ...and isn't a new camera one of The Best 'big kid' toys?! ENJOY!! (and we expect even MORE photos of your 'stuff' now!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Especially the kitties! You're gonna have so much fun!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! What kind of camera is it? I'm in the market for a new one--mine turned 4 years old this Christmas, which is like 12 years old in digital camera years. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Shara! The photos are all great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, you are going to have fun with that camera.
    Forget about showing restraint at Target! Go for it, girl!
    Have a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah for you and your detective work :) Maybe you could start a new business! Have fun with your new toy, it definitely takes wonderful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers