What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Went Trash Pickin' - Again

Saturday started off as a wet rainy day. But, it ended up clearing up but it was still very cold out. It only got to 39 degrees for the whole day. DS and I decided to go to an auction in the next town over - the very same town that just *happened* to be having the trash pick up. We got to the auction a couple hours into it. I knew I was late when I passed a guy walking down the street carrying a five foot tall African-American Santa BLOW MOLD. Eh gads. What else did I miss? After being at the auction a while, I realized that the other bidders had deeper pockets than I did. I left without even bidding on a thing. Besides, trash was waitin'!
My first find was this terrible looking blow mold. I mean, it's in great shape and all, it's just scary! DS jumped right out of the car, grabded it off the pile, threw it in the back of the VUE and jumped back in the car all in about ten seconds. He's a Pro!
We drove up one very small side street and spotted a big pile out front. But, this pile was different - everything was displayed and set up like a garage sale - but it was the trash pile. I spotted a few things that I knew I wanted, so we pulled over. As we started looking thorugh the items, an older couple emerged from the garage and came out. I asked if it was okay if we took a few things and they were delighted. They told me what everything was and tried to give me a reason to take everything. They even had a chaise lounge lawn chair with webbing and they had attached two brand new packages of webbing to it. They wanted people to take things!

I got this fabulous chippy white chair out first. I can't wait to set a big pot of red geraniums on it this summer.
This is my very favorite find. This is a child's metal folding table and chair set complete with red top and seat pads. I adore it! What will I do with it? Who knows. Who cares? It was FREE and it is MINE. It willmost likely go in the backyard as garden decor too.DS helped me take a badmition set, some large clippers for the shrubs and a Kodak Reel to Reel Projector. I actually thought the projector was a case full of albums when I grabbed it - Whoopsie. I thought we got a small wooden spool suitable for a table, but somehow we left it behind. I really only had to find a home for the chair and the table set, so I didn't overpick. DH bought a new pick-up not too long ago so it is time for me to learn to drive it so I can do some serious pickin' next year!

6 comments:

  1. What great stuff! That tombstone is ghoulish, perfect for Halloween! Keep or sell?

    The chair and the little table set are fabulous. I can't believe they were just throwing that stuff away! Egad! But lucky for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds!! You're getting good at this trash pickin' thing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang!!! Forget about coming to visit, I am moving to Arkansas.

    I truly think stuff just sits around and calls your name. "Shara,Shaaaaaaara"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:54 PM

    What is it with people getting rid of Halloween blow molds in April? I bet that one would do well on eBay. Good pickings!

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! You hit the "trash"pot!!
    I love the white chair, now that's my kinda pickin!!

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those lighted plastic things, and they are hard to find now. (Of course, I cant put mine out anymore because last Halloween some arseholes stole all of mine. Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers