What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Let's the Gross Stuff Out Of The Way First


We went to the Grossology Exhibit at the Arts Center on Tuesday. It wss gross enough, but not too gross. Let's just say that the 11 year old boys thought it was "Too cool".
This is Myron Nosealot. Myron has a problem with his nose - you just never quite know when the giant wad of snot will emerge. I never thought I would stand poised with my camera awaiting a snot bomb. But, I did.
This is the Barf! Barf! Exhibit. Notice that no one is around it. You had to make his organs light up in order and then *Hurl* he made a wretching noise. I tried to make him barf, but I didn't try very hard.
Here is DS and his firend pumping carbonated drinks into this guys belly waiting for him to *Belch*. And, when he did - It was loud!
My favorite photo of the day. This was posted in the "Career Opportunities" section - Would you like to be a deodorant sniffer? Yeah, me neither.

On to the silly joys in my life. I was at the Salvation Army yesterday and I overheard two women discussing how Wal-Mart had drastically marked down their Clearance section. So, we high-tailed it over there to rummage around. I found a ton of good stuff for next to nothing. My very best deal of all - and I mean my very best deal EVER in all my years of Bargain Hunting - was.....86 assorted knit wool hats, fleece hats and pairs of knit wool mittens. I picked up a couple to price check on the self scanner thinking DS could wear them next winter. When I scanned them I really thought I was seeing things. 2¢. Yep, I said TWO CENTS each. I bought 54 items yesterday and returned to day and found that there were still 32 left so I bought them too. Total cost - $1.72. Thy were priced $4.88-$7.88 each originally and marked $3.00, but scanned at 2¢. I gotta say it again. TWO CENTS. I plan on selling them for $1.00 each at my yard sale this Fall. Hopefully it will be a brisk cool day. Hey, if it is - they will be $2.00. I'm so bad.

I went to a garage sale this morning and thought I had fallen into a pit of money. I bought what I thought were Bakelite Bracelets. 29 of them to be exact. I tested them this afternoon and they are not Bakelite. But, they are still old 1950's bracelets, so I am sure they are worth something. I only paid $1.00 for the whole pile of them. At a sale before that I bought a little Tupperware container with 24 matching rings in them for $1.00. I mean the rings matched the bracelets. Isn't that amazing? I had actually bought bakelite bracelets at this sale before so I thought I had done it again. The last time I bought five bracelets for 10¢ each. They sold for enough on ebay that I got to go buy a brand new schmancy stove with the money. Close to $100.00 each. Ah, those were the days.

3 comments:

  1. Holy deals Batman!!!

    I can't believe the winter items were ringing up at .02!! That is totally crazy!! If you dont sell at your garage sale, they'd be good items to donate to a homeless shelter, etc. too!

    You have the best luck.

    When I looked at the bracelets, I thought they were shower curtain rings ;-)

    Good going!

    (Btw, uh, so jealous you have GARAGE SALES already!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing, cuz I thought the same thing that Annette did about the shower curtain rings.

    I actually like the box that the bracelets are in. Care to sell that on Ebay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY! That Grossology exhibit was in our town a couple of years ago. A bunch of us took our sons to this. You know how much boys like gross stuff. They had a ball! Too bad the bracelets were not bakelite. They're still cool though!

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers