What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Hoppy Easter, Everybunny!

Just a quick note to say "Hoppy Easter" to everyone. I am hosting Easter Dinner today. But, I have it easy - my Mom is bringing a smoked turkey and potato salad. I just had to make the cake and hot rolls. Easy Peasey. We usually have an Easter Picnic in the park complete with eggs thrown about for DS to scavenge. But, Old Man Winter decided that it should be 18 freaking degrees last night, so alas, no picnic for us. I decided Friday that we should just move it to our house. I have a small house without a dining room, so we set up a table and chairs in the living room and have a grand old time. It will be the three of us, my Grandmother, my Mom and Step Dad and my Father. My Mother gave me permision to invite the "Ex." So, I did.

When I was a kid, we had a set of gold "silverware" that my Dad had won at work for being "Manager of the Year". It wasn't extremely valuable - but to us, it was mighty special. We only used it Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was just the three of us so we tried to make the Holidays special. My Dad has had this silverware all these years, but I hadn't seen it in about 20 years. He mentioned it the other day and said he might sell it. Well, I got a bit weepy, remembering the gold "silverware" and our holdiay dinners and sked if DS could at least see it once since I had told him about the gold "silverware". Low and behold, the next time I saw him, he presented it to me. So, this is MY first holiday with the gold "silverware".



Have a Happy Easter, Everybunny!

1 comment:

  1. MY family had gold "silverware" too! My mother thought it was so elegent and used it for everyday! LOL! I have no idea what happened to our gold silverware, but I do have alot of happy memories about it! Crazy how silverware take me back! : )

    Jan/Azbax

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers