What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

"Oh, No She Di'unt"

I went to a Yard Sale not too far from my house this afternoon. When I drove by, there looked they still had quite a bit even though it was nearly 2:00 in the afternoon. There were cars lined up in the street, so I had to park on the side street and cut through the yard to get at the goods. When I came up from the side yard, I saw a potting bench sitting in the side yard behind a big hanging rack of clothes. I've always wanted a potting bench - I've seen them in decorating magazines all countrified up and wished for one. But, for the $125.00 I saw them for at Lowe's, I knew I would probably never get one. Since this one was behind the clothes and still there at 2:00 in the afternoon, I assumed it was either priced too high, already "SOLD" or not for sale in the first place. But then, I stepped around the front of it and noticed a $15.00 tag and knew it was going to be mine, all mine.

I grabbed my cell phone and called DH. He was on his way home from work and was actually at the stoplight only a block away, so he came on over in the truck. I was explaining to DS about how the top section lifts off to reveal a plastic tub to hold the dirt and I was showing him the drawer, etc., when DH pulled up about two minutes later. Then I went up to pay for it. But, I had to wait behind another lady. That's when I heard her asking, "Does the top lift off?" And the lady having the sale said, "Yes, there's a plastic tub under it to hold the dirt and there's a drawer..." Oh no, she didn't just ask about my Potting Bench!

I was good.

I was well behaved.

I used my manners.

I waited for her to pay for it.

But she didn't. She paid for the clothes and the other things she was buying. Then she said, "I'm going to go have another look at that bench now." Then she stepped away with her sacks in tow and glanced at me as I said, "Except, I'm going to buy it now." She looked a bit miffed at me. But, the lady having the sale laughed, took my money and said, "She beat you to it!" Mine, all mine! (*Evil, menacing laugh*). I was in line getting ready to buy it. I would have cried all the way home if she would have paid for it first. But she didn't so - na ner na ner na na - I got it. (The very same lady bought five cases of KING SIZE Kissables for 10¢ each at Wal-Mart two weeks ago as I stood patiently in line behind her hoping to get 125 packages for my Teacher's. But, she took every last bag of those Kissables. So, I had this one coming!)

Here it is in my side yard all "Countrifed up". Actually, as soon as we took it out of the truck I was throwing junk on it. "Can't you wait until we move it, dear?" Uh, no. I actually bought the big yellow 3's today for 50¢. They are old, metal and very heavy. I think they might be old highway markers. Besides, aren't numbers all the rage in decorating right now? (Plus the added bonus that it is my age. Okay, well, maybe not.) I bought the old bright blue metal box on the botom shelf today for $2.00 too. All the other junk, er, priceless treasures, came from yard sales or thrifts, too. But, you already knew that, didn't you?

Last Sunday I hung up this wreath that I had made last Fall. Today as I was walking around, I noticed this nest on top of it.

It is such a perfect little nest all coiled up. And so natural looking except for the one lone string of what appears to be Christmas Tree tinsel wrapped up in it. Kind of glams it up a bit.


Here's my glider, chair and tables that I bought last weekend. I still need to paint the glider and the chair. I'm debating on a color right now though. I want to stick with the colors of the era. It was originally yellow and now it is black. I thought of a green - like a Martha Stewart seafoamy sort of green, but I don't have anything else that color inside or outside the house. I would really, really, really like to paint them a soft sort of 1950's Pink Cadillac pink. But, I don't think that would thrill DH or DS too much. I have a lot of blues outside - mostly cobalt blues, so I may give up and paint it some sort of a blue. But, I really want pink!


For about two weeks now, anytime you go out in our backyard you will see this little guy.

He isn't very old and he isn't very big but he is very cute. His name is Mr. Bun-Bun. At least, that's what he told us, anyway. The neighbors behind up put up a new privacy fence the width of our backyard about a month ago, so we scored a FREE fence. Cha-ching. The neighbors on either side of us had fences installed over the years too. Last summer we had a fence without a gate installed on the front of the left side of the house to protect other people from seeing us in our pool. (It was for their own god, I promise.) So, this week we are putting up a fence and a gate on the other side of the yard and we will finally have a completely fenced in yard. Now, will Mr. Bun-Bun get fenced in or out? I'm hoping for in, but once we get our garden planted, I may be wishing otherwise. Mr. Bun-Bun might like salad too much.

5 comments:

  1. I was holding my breath as you were telling your tale!! But I knew you'd prevail, you definitely have the thrifting mojo at your back!! I love the planter! I am definitely going to have to get a truck, not having one is holding me back in my purchases big time!! Like today, there was a nice entertainment center for 10 dollars--perfect for my boys room and in great shape---couldn't get it. Next there was an old time vanity in great condition, 10 dollars---had to pass that up too without a truck-Dang!!

    I would go for cadillac pink, the boys will get used to it!! :)

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote Martha green or red! Neato potting bench. I'm so glad you got it and didn't have to be hauled to the pokey because you assaulted someone at a yard sale. LOL ;) Try explaining THAT one to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:22 PM

    Hooray for the potting bench! Since she did not pay for it, it was rightfully yours. I have one that my dad built me a few years ago, and I love it. It is pretty junky right now though.

    From experience, although he is adorable, I vote for Mr. Bun-Bun to be outside the fence. One, he will eat everything in sight, and two, he might have family he needs to get to (that's the mommy in me talking).

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:37 PM

    I would probably paint the furniture whatever color I could get at Lowe's for a few bucks from their mis-mixed paint section.

    ~ Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't worry about Mr. Bun-Bun. He will be able to get in and out of a new fence, any time he wants. And it will probably have a lot to do with what's growing in your garden!
    Love the metal furniture.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers