What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Thrifty Week

I went to my super cheap thrift store, the Salvation Army and the Attic Thrift Store in the past two days. Of course, I bought a lot for resell so I am going to have to buckle down and LIST some stuff!!! Everyone says they are doing well on ebay right now, so I need to get my stuff listed.

At one thrift I found an old porcelain Shirley Temple doll. Her face was broken and one arm was broken. But, her clothes were perfect and she had the hand blown glass eys, curly wig, leather shoes and tiny porcelain teeth. I thought she was worth buying for the clothes alone. She was priced $2.00. Then one of my older lady volunteer friends came up and balked at the price - "Who would pay $2.00 for THAT???" she said. I told her I thought the clothes were in nice condition. She said, "Take it then." So, I have a free doll. I may list her as is in case someone could restore her or even just use all the parts to fis one they might already own.

Here's a photo of a few things I bought - The Illco WDW Mickey Mouse Wheelie thing was 55¢, the Mickey Mouse Toothbrush timer was 10¢, the 1970's green polka dotted shirt was 25¢, the canteloupe bowl was my priciest item at a whole dollar, the book "A Million Little Pieces" was 25¢ - a good read while I wait in line at school every day, the kitchy Indian Rattle is a 1950's Route 66 Souvenir thingy and it cost 25¢ and the neat vintage Dutch tin was 50¢.

I have an old wardrobe that I converted to hold dishes. It is full of my collection of dishes that look like fruits and vegetables. Not a plate with apples on it, but a plate in the shape of an apple. I have watermelon bowls, lemon pitchers, strawberry creamers, tomato plates, asparagus S&P shakers, etc. I've always wanted a canteloupe bowl (there's on on the kitchen table on "According to Jim") so I was happy to find this one.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:06 AM

    i bought a 25 cent copy of "a million little pieces" at a thrift a few weeks ago,too! it's very good, but just be forewarned that it's VERY heavy, and depressing. however, it has a good "hold on in life when things are rough" kind of message.
    -Courtney (austinite from YSQ)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers