What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Beautiful Day

Saturday was such a beautiful day outside. DH has taken on the very selfish habit of attending all at-home college football games, so DS and I are left to our own accord. Since there are 70,000 people in town, we can't go into town so we looked for a new destination. We went to my favorite cheap thrift and picked up a few goodies, then went outside town and headed in a new direction down a road we had never ventured. About 30 miles later I had really lost my footings and wasn't sure which direction we were headed. I am proud to say that I actually used the compass in the rear view mirror and figured out the correct direction to go home. East! As we continued to drive, I told DS that I wasn't certain, but I thought we might be nearing a lake. As soon as I said that, a truck pulling a boat came over the crest. We ended up going to the lake, walking around and having a nice time.



There were people in the water on air mattress and kids catching minnows, but that all cane to an abrupt end when someone noticed a few water moccasins in the water. I saw a woman jump off her air mattress and I swear she walked on water getting out of there. DS climbed these steps that seemed to lead nowhere so I could take his picture. After I took it, I climbed up and WOW- the lake was right there and plumeted down about 20 feet. I wouldn't have let him climb up there if I knew that in the first place!


We drove around to the other side of the lake to the top of a mountain and found these fun little cabins that you can rent for $70.00 a night. As you can see - they are small and DS barely is tall enough to fit through the door. I'd love to rent on on a crisp fall night and go on a nature walk in the woods. I am NOT a Nature Girl- but this looked fun.




There's another home game in a few weeks - I think we'll head South that weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers