What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Finally! Some Garage Sales!

DS is still hurting, but he is able to get out and go saling with Mom. Ibuprofen seems to help as well as an occassional ice pack.

Today we went to a Cheerleader fundraising sale and several yard sales. There is a big craft festival in the next town over. It is called The Clothesline Fair. It got it's name when ladies used to sell their quilts thrown over clotheslines. It is now a huge craft fair on one side of the highway with food and other flea market-y items on the other side of the highway. Because of this fair - lots of people are selling at roadside all the way there. We will go to the Clothesline Fair tomorrow.

I alomost had a heart attack at one sale when I spotted a lady carrying 5 sockmonkeys. I thought I had missed out on the deal of a lifetime. When I caught up with her, I spotted the price tags - $8.00 EACH! Holy batcr@p! They weren't even that cute. So, I did NOT miss out on a deal there!

My best most fun deal of the day was at the cheeerleader sale. They had all these folk art pens and pencils for 10¢ each. I pcked out 66 of them. Yes, an odd number, but those were the ones I liked. But, when I checked out, the little cheerleader told me that her Mom said to only charge me $2.00 for all of them since I was buying so many. Heck of a deal!



I also picked up a couple Leo Ward glass items. Leo Ward founded the Bluebird of Happiness at Tera Studios. Terra Studios in in the next town over to the East. I see these bluebirds (and other glass animals) everywhere and have always passed on them. Then I found out they sell on ebay. Surprise! So, I pick them up when I find them for 50¢ or less. Today I picked up an apple for 50¢ and a whale for 25¢. When my husbands Mother died, we found about 50 of these glass birds (and other animals too) in her house. That was one of the few things we decided to keep from her house. DS likes them and will probably inherit them someday, so we add to the collection when we can and sell the rest. Just like the Blue Bell ice cream Guys....."We eat all we can and sell the rest"!

I went to Dillon's for a few things. I had two $5.00 coupons for Schick Quattaro Titanium Razors. They were on sale for $7.99 - regularly $11.99. So, that would make them $2.99 each after coupons - a good deal for DH. When the checker scanned the coupon it took off the entire $7.99 price. I told her and she said, "The computer is always right." Well, no it isn't, but since it was in my favor - what the heck - I didn't argue!

DH is going to the U of A football game tonight. Ticket - $40.00. Parking $10.00. Two Hot dogs, Chips and a Coke - $15.00. Paying a guy to do his work while he's gone - $40.00. A night without cooking dinner and him snoozing on the couch for ME - PRICELESS! He'll leave at 5:00 and not be home until about 1:30 am after the game is over (kickoff is at 7:45) and traffic. We live three miles from the stadium, but traffic will take well over an hour and a half getting home. Wooo Pig Soooie. Yea, right. I hate sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers