What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday in Town


We went to the hospital today to see the Orthepedic Surgeon. His theory is that DS deeply bruised the bone on the back of his shoulder and it may take 6-8 weeks to completely heal. He thinks it is fine, might be sore for a while longer, but will heal completely. Hitting the hard gym floor really bruised it deep. So, that is good news and we are going to go about our business as usual and think good thoughts. Yea!



When we left the hospital we found ourselves near a thrift so we went rummaging. I found these great old folk art seashell encrusted bottles for $2.00 each. I have sold numerous old shell encrusted boxes and vases, so I know they do well. Each one of these bottles should sell for $25.00-$30.00 each. They are soooo Kitschy!

After that we went to my favorite Dollar Shop. They have awesome things and everything is $1.00. Today I bought name brand scrapbooking kits that were priced at $12.99 each, a Teleflora Strawberry shaped teapot and numerous other items - all for $1.00 each. They had Fisher Price Fusion Characters for $1.00. I didn't buy any and now I wish I would have - I looked them up and a set of twelve is seling for $60.00 on ebay. I shoulda bought 'em ALL! Doh!

We also went to a new store called "Oops" - factory over runs, freight damaged items, discontinued items, etc. It is all new high end mechandise. I bought several nice Christmas gifts for my Stepfather, Father and Grandmother. Outside the front door they had this giant Adirondak Chair. I was happy that I am the sort of Mom that carries her camera everywhere. You never know when a Photo Op will occur!

Tomorrow I take 15 11 year olds out for a day of Go-Karts, Bumper Boats and Laser Tag for DS's late birthday party. Hope I'm still alive tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers