What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Easter is in FOUR Days!

I just realized that I haven't shared any of my Easter decorations this year.  I didn't think I would ever get it all up and now, it's practically time to pack it away.  :(  My love affair with bunnies is deep.  I have collected them since I had my college apartment.  I don't really collect them anymore except for vintage ones.  Every year I cull out some more items and condense my collection down.  But, when you've had something for thirty years, you are attached to it! I have a narrow shelf in my hallway that houses the ones that I consider to be my bunny collection year round.  Some of them come out to the living room for Easter then hop back to the shelf for the rest of the year.  

Today I'll share the white shelves.  I think these shelves are the best five dollars I ever spent at a garage sale. 

 Some of my favorite collections are usually housed on this shelf.  This is no exception!
 The pink bunny in the center and the white one on the right stay out all year long.  The little pink/yellow egg is a little bank that I found this year.
The yellow/purple bunny stays out too.  Love all the little tins that I have collected over the years too.

Years ago, before I was really into vintage, I went to an Estate Sale where the lady had been a teacher for about fifty years.  There was a room chock full of all of her teaching things including piles of Dick and Jane Books and boxes of the old Dick and Jane flash cards.  I bought one box of old greeting cards and procured those sweet flocked ducky cards from there.  Oh, how I wish I would have bought all the stuff in that room!

I'll be back tomorrow with some more!

5 comments:

  1. My favorite displays are the ones that are so crammed full of things that every time you look at it, you see something different. Your bunnies do not disappoint!

    I finally took photos of my Easter displays yesterday. Can't wait to see the rest of yours.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter! Looks like you are all ready for a visit from the bunny
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so happy and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. I love this holiday. The decorations are so happy and springlike. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see you holiday collections and this one is so sweet. I have many bunnies myself, they are enjoying being 'home alone' this year for Easter!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers