What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Arkansas Tornadoes

Hi all.  I have been getting a lot of emails and texts to make sure that we are all okay.  We are fine - nothing happened in our little corner of the state at all.  We were in Tornado Warnings all day Sunday, but about 10:30 Sunday night we had about a ten minute hard rainstorm with lots of hail.  But, that was it.  Lara and I were texting each other back and forth during it all.  It seems that I am about seven minutes ahead of her in the world of weather, so when I would say the rain was starting, about seven minutes late it would start raining at her house.  Luckily, it was all short lived and not bad at all.

But, a bit down South near Little Rock the towns of Mayflower and Vilonia were nearly wiped out.  I have a friend from high school that lives in Mayflower and works in Vilonia, so I was worried about him.  He posted about 12:30 that night that his family was okay.  The town is a wreck though.  Tornadoes are suck a terrible thing.  They come in fast and leave fast and kill and destroy in such a short time.  This morning they released a video of the names and ages of the deceased and it is just heart breaking.

Thank you for checking on me and worrying about us.  I really have such a wonderful family of friends on here and it really means the world to me!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you are OK. So so sad about that family. Cannot even imagine what lays ahead for the parents :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother is on the Gulf coast in Mississippi I was very worried about him but he is fine and no horrid weather there. So glad your family is safe and sound.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad you posted and even better that you are OK ;-) Just about wore my mydealoftheday key out checking on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it missed us this time, living in Tornado Alley is always a concern. Especially in the spring. We're heartbroken about all the death and destruction. Glad you and your family are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank goodness for internet and cell phones. So much easier to check up on our friends and stay updated. I tell you all the time you are in a little bubble in that corner, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shara, so glad to hear that you are all okay. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad everything is ok. I talked to my son in Fayetteville and he said it was all good there. Sending thoughts and prayers to those in southern AK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying not to think about it...that story you posted about the couple who lost their two sons was beyond heartbreaking. I started googling about a week ago, because I was freaking out about weather getting more severe now than it was 100 years ago, but I don't think that's true. I found a Wikipedia page that listed all the recorded tornadoes since the early 1900s and there have been doozies every decade. But I think only one or two in our area, at least! So that's cold comfort.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers