What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, July 12, 2013

You Can Find the Best Things at A Garage Sale

Today I went to one garage sale.  It was listed on Craigslist as an "Eclectic" Sale.  They had a list of things that sounded right up my alley.  So, despite the heat, I stopped.

The first thing I found was a big stack of old books.  I am not supposed to buy books of any sort.  I made that rule.  But, golly, these books were OLD and in really nice condition and only twenty five cents.  So, I guess the rule was mine to break.  I think old books make great decorator items.   I think I will use the red and green books in my Christmas display at the Barn Sale.  The red, white and blue books are Zane Grey books - I put them in my Patriotic tubs for next year.  Some of these are interesting old Nursing books.  

The second thing I found was this old red and white checked tablecloth.  I was picking up and admiring it and the lady was trying to come up with a price for it.  While she was thinking I was telling her my dream of having a family BBQ with each table set with a different gingham tablecloth.  As soon as I said, "Gingham" this lady walking up the driveway towards me said, "I KNOW YOU WHO ARE!"  Turns out, it was Lara from Pretty. Quirky. that I had just blogged about not having ever met despite our constant emails and plans to set up at the Barn Sale.  Well, we got all excited and hopped up and down and hugged each other and told the lady having the sale all about us and how we have blogs and we have known each other for two years but never met and blah, blah, blah.  I bet that lady thought we were half nuts!  Maybe not, when we left she was looking up our blogs.  (Whoops - HI LADY!)  So, I almost didn't even ask about this red tablecloth because I already have about four of them.  But, if I hadn't I never would have known it was Lara standing there.  So, I am SO glad I asked about it.  Nice to "meet" you Lara!

Next stop was an Estate Sale run by a couple of ladies that watched me pick up a box of vintage birthday candles at a sale one day and yelled, "ARE YOU MONKEYBOX?"  My first and only sighting as a famous person.  :D  Anyway, not that you care, but Lara is friends with them, and I am friends with them and we all have a different mutual friend so it is one small world.  The estate sale had lovely old things, but my budget was small, so I only bought a couple small things.  There was a very awesome old bread/cake display from a grocery store that I LOVED.  I wish I could have bought it for my booth to display all my little ephemera junk.  I wish it would be left at the end of the sale, but I know it will be long gone.  It was so neat!
I bought several big plastic bags filled with Christmas.  This old tinsel and these sweet deer were among the keepers.  See, those old red and green books do look good with Christmas!

Oh, I forgot - I bought this at the "Eclectic" Sale.   I  only wanted the box, but they sold it all to me for $1.00.  It was full of old shed junk, but I managed to salvage out some old hinges and hardware too. 

Back to the Estate Sale.  Kind of like the tomato box, this big can was full of nails.  I asked if I could just buy the can.  I really don't know why - but the old school Green Giant appealed to the inner kid in me.  

Let's go back to the Garage Sale again.  Dizzy yet?  After the nice guy at the garage sale carried the bag of books to the car, I went back up to visit with Lara a minute.  That's when I spotted a big plastic bag that said FEEDSACKS on it.  I opened it to count them and there were six very big sacks.  They are in prisitine condition.  

Two in this pattern.  
 Bright cornflower blue flowers  on a pink and burgandy background.
One of this pattern.

 Aqua background with white and bittersweet colored flowers.  
Two of this pattern.

Jadeite green, cornflower blue and burgundy flowers.

One of this pattern.

A nice stripe - I bet this one would have made a nice skirt.

I'm sort of in love with them.  But, they are headed to ebay.  

*Speaking of ebay.  I am sitting at 999 Feedback.  I have been waiting to get to 1000 feedback forever.  I sold a few items last week and I have one person waiting to leave feedback.  But the are from Japan and I have never gotten feedback from anyone that I have ever sold to in Japan.  I could buy a little something to get that one feedback, but I want to earn it!  

Hope you all have a lovely weekend crammed full of junk and journeys.  


13 comments:

  1. Great junk Shara! I love the feedsacks and would be interested in buying a couple. Could you let me know when you list them on ebay????

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Those feedsacks are really pretty. I'm heading out to a flea market right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feedsacks are the something that I have only ever found once at a sale and it was sale full of old fabric so that is almost cheating, don't you think?

    It's so fun to be recognized from blogland. It happened to us one time and it just makes blogging so much more enjoyable knowing that people out there actually do pay attention!

    Have a great Saturday & stay cool:-)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our record still stands at 9 years of blog friendship/never met in person. One day though. First thing popped in my head with the can "ho, ho, ho, Green Giant".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The aqua feedsack makes me swoon. I so wanted to get to 1,000 feedbacks that I was ready to make my mom buy something, and she doesn't even have a computer. But it finally happened (earlier this year), and I was happy for a second, and I will be happy for you, too, when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't figure out why you wanted to get to 1000 feedsacks when you actually said feedbacks. Feedsacks, feedbacks, it's all running together now!

      Delete
  6. 1. You people should know that Shara is adorable in person. 2. SHARA, that shelf was still there when I stopped by at 9 am -- tell me if you want me to call Kristie and see if it's still there! 3. I am SO GLAD we finally met! 4. You readers should also know that it was almost noon when Shara picked up those feedsacks, yet they were still there, waiting for her, further proving that the universe is totally on her side when it comes to yard sales and the rest of us should just all give up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not adorable. I am cute as a button. HAHAHAHAAHAHA Kidding! You were funny and I loved finally meeting you!

      I find things because I look at everything. You find awesome stuff all the time too! I was surprised to see those feedsacks too. I was even more surprised that they were huge and complete and beautiful!

      Delete
  7. Shara great finds and how fun to meet Lara!! Love the feedsacks and the deer!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lara's comment. You do find the BEST stuff! The feedsacks are a great find, but I am really coveting your tomato box. Of all the weird things out there in the world, that one is something I never see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE LOVE LOVE the feedsacks!!! What a fun find!!! Sounds like a really fun day! Did you hit 1000 yet???

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had tons of those exact same cardboard tomato boxes growing up that my dad used in gardening. I think one of my aunts ended up keeping them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that tomato box and the aqua feedsack, too! How fun to meet a blogging friend! I just reached 1000 feedback earlier this year. It was exciting, but now it seems a long way off to the next milestone.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers