What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

One and Done

Wednesday we went on a treasure hunt at Target.  I saw online that the Summer items were scanning at 90% off.  Target is always fun when there are 90% off items to be found.  The most fun are the "hidden" that scan at 90% off, but aren't marked as summer items.  Case in point this particular time when we found two big packages of Styrofoam plates for 32¢, a package of blue "Solo" cups for 32¢ and a beverage dispenser for 79¢. On  a walk down an outer lane, I spotted some giant tubs on a shelf.  I said to The Breadman, "Those are going to be 59¢!"  He looked at me like I was crazy, but he took one and scanned it.  He came back and said, "How did you know?  Do you want it?" To which I replied, "I want all SIX of them!"  

He loaded them into the cart and then said, "Why exactly do we need six giant plastic tubs?"  I said, "Because they are 59¢, that's why!"  I figure we will figure out what to do with them later.  :)  I paid $5.19 for the plates, the cups, the dispenser and all six tubs.  Treasure hunting is fun!

After Target we stopped into the big thrift in town.  After buying things for 32¢ and 59¢, the thrift seemed like it was really, really expensive!  But, I re-acclimated and found some deals there too.

I found this sweet vintage-inspired chalk and velvet Easter bunny.  I will doctor him up  bit.

1964 Scrabble Junior game - for the booth.

 A Hog-opoly game board.  This should sell to a University student pretty quickly.  
An alabaster watermelon slice.  I have a collection of about twelve of these that started with on my Mom and Dad brought me home from Acapulco when I was a kid.  I do not have a watermelon themed house or kitchen,in case you were wondering.  But, I do have these alabaster watermelon slices, the watermelon potholders and my collection of stickers off actual watermelons. 

This die cast See's Candy truck was sitting on a shelf in the toy department.  I watched The Bean, The Breadman and three customer pick it up and sit it back down.  I heard two of them say what a shame it was that it was ruined.  When I went to look at it I saw that in giant capital Magic Marker letters someone had written JENNY JOHN and JASON on the top of the trailer.  It looked pretty bad, but I thought for 99¢ I could take a stab at cleaning it up.  It took some elbow grease and two magic Erasers, but it is all gone.  Not a trace of Magic Marker.  I'm always surprised when people don't realize that you can fix things.  It should go to the booth, but it might have to lice with m candy box collection for a bit.

Now, for the last item of the day.

I bought something that I have never bought before and I never really thought I would buy.  

PYREX.

I bought PYREX. 

 I know a lot of people LOVE Pyrex.  There are websites about it, blogs about it and people that collect it.  I can think of five people that read this blog that collect it and LOVE it.  But, it just doesn't do much for me.
 That is, until I saw this piece of  lovely red Pyrex ovenware sitting on the shelf.  It is the one piece that I has seen on blogs that appealed to me.
It's in really nice condition - the red is bright and not chippy or peeling at all.  I bought it for the booth.  
But, I'm kind of digging it.  

Before one of you comments, Now you are going to start collecting Pyrex.  Nope.  Not going to happen. This is the one piece that I have coveted.  One and done, as they say.

Did you find any deals, hidden or otherwise this week?

12 comments:

  1. 8-) I'm with you on the whole 'PYREX THANG'.
    ...and that is The.Only.Piece. that I own too!
    Growing up it was the bowl that Mom made Macaroni and cheese in (the Real stuff -not Kraft) - so our house HAD to have one!!
    I'm so envious of your treasure hunts at Target! I wish that we had a Target closer than 25miles away ~ probably a good thing that we don't!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice going at Target! Would you believe I don't have one piece of pyrex? Don't really dislike it but just have never bought it.

    I was an hour away from home this last weekend for a scrapbooking retreat and scored a vtg snoopy sheet, 4 Vogue designer patterns,(1 is a wedding gown! already in my Etsy shop), 2 lefton cardinal candle holders and a scrabble game - all for $5. Doing the happy dance.

    Love the alabaster watermelon slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome is it that the first piece of thrifted Pyrex you buy is something that us collectors sometimes look years for & is a highly coveted piece? Great job! I know you are "one & done" but are you going to try to find the small accompanying bowls that go with it?

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were about 7 summer things left at my Target and only 70% off. Boo! Two years ago I bought 3 of the big metal beverage tubs when they went 70 or 90% off and I used them last year in my booth to hold rolled up blankets and afghans I had for sale.

    For only buying 1 piece of Pyrex, that's a doozy! :D That piece is in my all-time favorites. Maybe even my #1 favorite. I have the large sized turquoise bowl (no lid however) and some of the little baby guys in red and yellow and I use those things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you know I love my Pyrex, but I've got all the pieces I want now and I use them. I went to Target in hopes of finding markdowns...none. This is a college town and the store is filled with Back to School stuff and so the clearance must have already been cleared! Oh well, NOT that I needed anything! Love the See's truck.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your FB post and went to Target in the hopes that you had missed one or two of those tubs. It was already pretty picked over once I go there. Those will really come in handy for you, I'll bet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowza, what a great bargain day. Hard to top that. Yes, it amazes me that people don't think about fixing things up or repairing them. Their loss, my gain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may THINK that is the only piece of Pyrex you will collect. Time will tell. Our Target never has any good markdowns that I find. Someone must get them first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you never cease to amaze me. since I live in the sticks I have no target. I love the bunny the most. I see a Pyrex collection in the future:)
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see those big tubs as display or transport for stuff to and from the booth or barn sale. I can also see more Pyrex in your future. You're protesting a bit too much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We'll just see what happens with the Pyrex.

    If it's the first and last piece, fine....but just might be the beginning of Pyrexia! LOL

    You just never know

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought one and done for me too with the Pyrex, and now I am hooked! I do admit that not all Pyrex is appealing to me-most of it I can clean it up and sell it without a problem, but certain pieces...I have them in my vintage glassware foster care system. I display them and love them and when I get tired of them, I'll sell them-if I get tired of them! Awesome finds at Target!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers