What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Gifts

My sweet Aunt Dorothy from Kansas (not that Dorothy!) was coming through town last weekend and met up with my Dad for lunch.  I had to help my Mom that morning, so I wasn't able to see her.  As it turned out, she had been doing some downsizing since a move and had been making up a box of things she thought I might like.  I met my Dad on Wednesday and he handed me a huge UHaul moving box.  Oh my goodness!  I waited until I got home to start unloading it so I could take my time.  I will say this.  My Aunt Dorothy knows me very well!

The box was chock full of things suited perfectly for me.  An Easter tablecloth with bunnies on it.  Vintage children's books, vintage recipe booklets, satin lingerie boxes and lots more fun things.  A German Christmas Candle Pyramid and lots, lots more.
Two sets of metal candle chimes (we love these things), lots of replacement candles for the chimes, a vintage angel tree topper (on the right) and a vintage angel with a pull cord that plays music.  

Lots and LOTS of mini ornaments - needlepoint ones and lots of sweet little snowmen, some mercury beads and other fun vintage things.  

A light up hurricane lamp with poinsettias.  (Pardon the tacky photo background.)

And, the holy grail of all things vintage and all things Christmas.    

Shiny Brites!  
 Complete sets!
 Santa heads!
Made in Poland ornaments!
Original boxes!

(One box, she says she even saved from atop a trash can on trash night!)

Thank-you Aunt Dorothy!  You know me well and I loved every bit of it.  

It's not the first time she has gifted me treasures either.  :)




13 comments:

  1. I wish I had an Aunt Dorothy! (Although my Uncle Mike does set me up really well from time to time...) Love the designs on those ornaments. I can see you making some really cool wreaths with the little stuff. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Aunt Dorothy is married to Uncle MIKE!

      Delete
  2. We all should have a thoughtful Aunt Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ornaments are fan-freaking-tastic!!! Love the Santa heads with stripes--I've never seen those before. Hooray for Aunt Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing surprise box and I bet she is as delighted as you are , knowing her treasures are going off to a new home where they will continue to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if that don't beat all - you don't even have to go OUT of your house, the good stuff is coming TO you!

    Seriously, what a nice surprise for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. High five to Aunt Dorothy for this save!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and the BIRTHDAY MONTH begins... B-) !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you!!! Your Aunt Dorothy spoiled you!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sweet yummy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh what a haul what an amazing aunt.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. She does know you really well and is so sweet to get these treasures for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Aunt Dorothy: YOU ROCK. Those Shiny Brites are DELICIOUS.

    Sincerely,

    Lara

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers