What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Let's Visit the Booth

It's been awhile since I took you on a tour of the booth.  I think I had mentioned the possibility of expanding into the small booth to the right of mine.  I was planning on it, but then the current vendors decided to stay, so that fell through.  Then the vendors in the booth on the left of me decided to vacate, so that became available to me.  But, it is the same size as my booth - about 7' x 8".  I cram a LOT of stuff in my booth so I really didn't think I could come up with that much more stuff to keep mine properly stocked and fill up the new space too.  So, I am still in my one area but that is okay because it works for me.  

The flea market is an old building that was once the town's doctor's office and it has been rehabbed many, many times. Several times I have been working in there and an old man has said, "I was born in here!"  The first time, before I knew it used to be a doctor's office, I thought "WTH?" It has bare rafters inside and you can see the old star joints in the walls, pieces of old tin ceiling and parts of old bricks.  I think it is kind of neat in there if you know the history.  Other people think it has an unfinished look to it.  Fluorescent lighting is scattered throughout the building.  With the high peg board walls, a lot of the booths are kind of dark and shadowy.  So, each vendor has found some sort of old lighting or chandelier to hang up for their own lighting.  Somehow, I lucked out and got the only full complete light fixture in my booth.  So, it is very well lit and easy to shop.  It is, however, difficult to take photos due to the bright light.  So, bear with me.

As you can see, I like to cram it full.  I took this photo before I straightened up.  

The back wall.  More stuff and stuff ans thing and things.

 My ephemera section.  Framed flash cards, Scrabble tile words, letter tile words, ephemera packets, wooden letters, paper straws, horse ribbons, corsages and lots of other fun stuff.  I sell a lot from this area.

I made all of the Scrabble tile words and attached the tiles to card stock with double stick tape.  Then I put them in my car overnight and guess what?  i twas cold and all the damn letters popped off the cards.  At least they are still in order and they make sense, but I was so happy to have figured out a good way to package them.

I was saving all the Razorback stuff until Fall, but then I decided to just throw it on top of the shelf now.  Vintage Razorback items always do well for me.  Those old pennants came out of someone's trash many years ago.  I like them hung up plus they do sell.

Packets of paper straws in 12, 24 and 36 count packages.  I have red and white, blue and white and red, white and blue.  I want to find some black, green and orange for the other holidays.  And pink.  I love pink!


There are 2x4 beams that run along the middle of the booth, so I cram stuff on there too.  No wasted space in MY booth!

The toy box full of all vintage toys.  It's usually a big hot mess on the floor when I get there to straighten up.  I think some parents park their kids in there to play while they shop.  I'd prefer they didn't do that, but what are you going to do, right?

 I bought this old plastic Hobby Horse at Goodwill last week and that spawned a horse themed display.  I sell a lot of those horse ribbons, so I added them, a wool throw and a horse ranch lamp.  I found the Horse Encyclopedia and the plastic horse on the way to the flea market at the Super Cheap Thrift.  Kind of kismet. I don't know if any of it will sell, but at least it's different that most of the other booths right now.
Georges Briard glass serving plate and set of Georges Briard glasses.  I used to sell this stuff in my other booth in the college town,but I don't know if it will sell out there in Flea Market land.

Milk glass.  I SWORE I would never buy it.  But, it's hot in weddings now and I'll squeeze a dime out of anyone anyway I can. 

I'm shameless.  

Funky old books and funky owls.

My vintage hankie collection (yes, I am selling off one of my collections), books, pottery and more horse ribbons.

 This clown freaks out many people that come in my booth.  He's kind of the mascot of the flea market.  He made the Facebook page awhile back and, for the most part, people FREAKED OUT about it.  SO, I stuck him in the back corner for an added "ACK" from people.  He's actually a Bozo the Clown and kind of cool.  Albeit a bit scary.
How about that "Here's looking at you" glass - with those creepy googly eyes on it?

Cubbies full of stuff.  Flash cards, vintage baby clothes, frames, lamps and a bit of everything.

Sometimes I wish I had one of those froo-froo booths that are all one color or all one theme.  But, I get a lot of compliments on my things and the fact that they are all vintage and unique.  So, more STUFF is what I will sell.

If you're ever in the area - I'll give you a tour!

10 comments:

  1. Your booth is the kind I stop at and take time with! That's when my husband gets way ahead of me and I have to bypass the ones with all the glassware. It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I would LOVE to be in the area... 'someday'! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that same clown at a YS last week but I left it because it was so freaky looking:)
    Your booth looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely stop to look since it's so jammed. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Here's looking at you" glass is MUCH creepier than the Bozo doll...although he's pretty creepy too. I like all the things you craft out of ephemera and would love to visit your booth some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could spend hours in your booth. It is not a scan-and-keep-moving kind of booth.

    We finally found something we don't both love -- I adore milk glass! How can you not like it??

    Love those owls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo wish I was closer, I'd be a regular customer! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love your booth! I like lots and lots of stuff to look at and all your vintage items would have me shopping for real!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love to see your booth, although it gives me an inferiority complex. Yours looks so nice and I'm just low-rent cram it in there with no style whatsoever. I love that you do have some non-vintage cool stuff in your space too. I didn't know you also did that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your booth is intriguing,it MUST be Sharatized and not boring.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers