What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, April 19, 2013

A Church Sale

My Mom is home again.  Jiggity Jig. Jiggity Jig.  That's not to say that she is healed or back to herself.  She still has a lot of limitations.  She is also considered to be "home bound" so she has two therapists and a CNA that will come to her house during the week.  She will still be busy, but at least she is in more familiar surroundings again.  Her own chair, her own TV, no roommates, food of her choice, bedtime when she's ready, etc. All of the breaks and injuries that occurred with the fall have completely healed.  But, she has nerve damage in her arms that makes her right hand almost useless.  She can do some things with it, but very little. The therapists are still working on it and have hopes that someday it will be as good as new again.  KNOCK WOOD.  

I went out again today to help her make room for her walker and her wheelchair to easily more from one room to the next and to get her things where they are more accessible for her.  My step father is there, but he, of course, but he's well......(Do any of that side of the family read this blog?  Think WOMAN think.......No, I don't think they do) .......he's a MAN. When she goes to the bathroom I check on her to see if she needs anything and wait to make sure she comes out okay.  Not him.   Nope.  He wouldn't notice if she went missing in the bathroom for three hours.  He loves her very much, but he's just not very aware of his surroundings.  I asked him to do a few things today and he did them right away.  So, I think he's like The Breadman.  He'll do anything, you just have to ask (Okay, TELL) him to do it.  So, she needs to ask for things.  She can and will do a lot for herself, but if he's in the kitchen getting a drink, maybe he could make on for her too?  I think a lot of that has to do with the differences between men and women.  We are MOM's.  We think about everyone else first and do things for everyone first.  Most men?  Nuh-uh.  (And to any men that might be reading this that are sweet and caring caregivers......WILL YOU MARRY ME?)

Oh, what's that title up there?  A Church Sale.  I nearly forgot.  On the way to see her, I came across a Church Sale in a tiny town along the way.  It's usually outside on the lawn, but for some crazy reason it was freezing (literally) today so they moved it inside.  It wasn't huge or crazy full of vintage things like some Church sales I read about out there in blogland.  But, I found a few things to make it worth stopping.
A train case, two vintage doilies, two abstract Melmac ashtrays, an old wooden box purse with a bird on it, a huge vintage trick or treat blowmold pumpkin and a vintage woolen throw.

I don't think a kid could lift this thing once it was full of treats.  The handle is inside, but it's there.  

An old 1970's Ohio Art tin toy  toaster.  

That train case again.  I consistently sell these for $18.00 at the booth.  So, finding this one for two bucks was great.

Such a crappy picture.  This vintage Faribo Woolen throw was still sealed in it's original plastic storage case. I bought it to put with my tailgating display, but it's kinda toasty and warm and sweet.  But that could be the aforementioned freezing weather we had today.  At $2.00, I guess I could keep it and not break the bank.

Now this thing, it's just weird.  It looks like a Dakin Dream Pet, but it has that big spring as a neck.  It says "Merry Christmas" on it's side so I would think it was a deer - but it looks like a giraffe.  I am thinking that you might stick Christmas Cards in his neck, which, let's face it, is kind of a stupid look, but I think that's really what how it was intended to be used.

 Several vintage books which one lady told me were $1.00 each, but when I went to pay for only one - another lady told me that they were 2/25¢.  "Oh let me go grab a few more" I cooly said.  :D
 Vintage Farm Animal Book.
Little Swimmers which is really just too cute.

A book titled, "I want to be an Animal Doctor" in which I spotted that ungodly freakish creature in the bottom center.  Upon actually reading the book I found that it is a MONKEY.  Oh, hell no.  That's no MONKEY.  That is the spawn of HELL!

Vintage 1930's Junior Instructor Book which has an assortment of plays, stories, lessons, songs, craft activities and other fun things including a very scientific lesson about Space Travel.  In the 1930's.  It's awesome.
It has great drawings and graphics that I think would be great framed.  
But, I've never been able to cut up a vintage book yet.  
And, several vintage religious books with super great drawings and graphics.  

All in all it was a good day.  Saw my Mumsie, bought some junk and went to eat Chinese Food for the first time in months.  I did notice at one point that our waitress had watery eyes and looked like I felt back earlier in this week.  When she refilled our water all three of us said, "Don't drink the water!"  She ended up leaving and we had a new waitress.  And, now, my stomach is making god awful noises again.  Oh my, not again.  Please, not again!

12 comments:

  1. Good stuff for stopping in a small place! Love the wooden purse and the toaster looks like new.

    I haven't been out anywhere - I hate to say it but I've done something to my left knee. Went to the dr almost 3 weeks ago and it's not better with the motrin she gave me. Go back on monday.

    I'm sending healing thoughts to your Mom and yes, we all know nobody mothers like a women does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Rand McNally books are precious, especially A Day at the Farm. I don't think we have that one.

    Glad to hear your mom is home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't get bit by that dang stomach bug again!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear your mom is home.
    And yep, we mommas are much more in tune with others needs...LOL.

    I totally love the train case and throw and I too have a love for the Rand McNally books.

    Girl you sure can find some amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay that your Mom is home! I know she will be so much happier in her own surroundings. I also get that about 'men' not being quite so nurturing. They just aren't in most cases. Love your Church sale finds. The old books are soooo cute! The Little Swimmers caught my eye! I also love that throw, looks so comfy. Well have a good weekend! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. GO MUMSIE!!!!
    (and Yes. That is Truly, THE CREEPIEST Monkey E.V.E.R. in that book - may even beat 'cake wrecks'!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have picked up the Elf books, real quick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up with those Junior Instructor Books, Book I and Book II. Not sure why we had them, since I sure wasn't around in the 1930s. They must have been my father's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you and I have raised GOOD boys that WILL know how to take care of others. So glad you got some good junk. I did not know those train cases went for good money. I sold a couple at my last y-sale for $3.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to read that your mom is home. You can never underestimate the recuperative power of just being in your own surroundings. I'm sure that you can train your stepdad to be more attentive, if you're patient enough. I've got one of those caring caregiver dudes myself. He's been doing my laundry and my chores since I've been in chemo. You can't have him though. He's mine!

    Love your finds, as always. I have three of those religious books (of course). The long, narrow ones are part of a series (published by the Methodists--I think). I have about seven volumes from the series.

    I did think about you this weekend when I found two vintage (I think) Berea College brooms! Hail to thee O Alma Mater!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear your mom is doing better! I love that pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad your mom is home!

    As always, you found some great things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SO HAPPY your mom is home! You must be so relieved. Love your finds. I went to a little out-of-the-way church sale on Saturday too, but they didn't have any old stuff, so either you had already hit it or it was a different one. This one was out Highway 16 -- then I turned left and drove miles and miles and miles out in the country. Over a one-lane bridge! Didn't get much, but it was a nice drive at least.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers