What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

Come Trick or Treating at my house tonight....You will get Twinkies and Ding Dongs if you do!
Come on in and look at my decorations. The Jack O' Lantern on the pedestal was an impulse buy this year at Hobby Lobby (50% off!). I try to only buy vintage stuff, but he looks vintage, so that is close enough for me! I've hd that huge rocking cat in the back for years and never quite found a spot for him. I love him up high. I was sitting him on the floor in the past. The bookshelf packed full of Halloween goodness. I incorporated my Orange Fire King Mixing Bowl into my decorations since orange so does not go in my kitchen. It holds my collection of teeny candy cups.
My favorite creation this year - I made the pumpkin one day and the witch another and put them together on a whim a different day.
Hope you have a terrific Halloween. Make it a safe one!

4 comments:

  1. Love your Halloween displays! Fall is so much fun - can't wait to see what you have "cooked up" for Thanksgiving..;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun collection! I only decorated my porch! I'm a slack mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like a Ding Dong, please. And can I have one for my little boy, too? He just Looooves Ding Dongs..I swear! (even though he's only 6 weeks old) Forget full-size candy bars, I'd rather have a Hostess cake anyday! You know my weakness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, after seeing only two posts I am adding you to my blog list.

    I do remember those little plastic characters! I was thinking they came from gum machines but I really can't recall!

    I will be back to read more....I've spent way too long on the computer this morning!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers