What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Mailman Cometh

Actually, the Mail Lady cometh. And she bringth Happy Mail!

First, I won a giveaway at My Vintage Soul a few weeks back. Linda's town has a Spring Clean up that sounds as good as our local clean -up - Treasures abound.


Actually, her town's might be better because I never found vintage ornaments or vintage reflectors. But, Linda did and she was nice enough to give away some of her finds. And, I won!

Not only that, she included two little tin eggs for my vintage Easter collection. Thank you Linda!

I had mentioned gifts from a male Blog reader (yes, the do exist!) and here they are. These things are from Nick (the Firefighter) who is a member of the Yardsalequeen boards. He sent me some things from his Grandmother's Estate items and some things he had found and thought of me.

Two sweet embroidered linen tea towels. A flamingo even!

A slew of sweet embroidered hankies - love that little banjo playing girl!

And lots of fun things including an old candy tin, matchbooks, tokens, coins, a key, a bottle cap and lots of fun little things. I adore that carved bottle opener in the back. He provides me a smile every time I see him. So, thank you Nick!

The last piece of Happy Mail is partly one I bought and a gift from another blog friend.

I finally got my miniature toasting glasses that had wanted so badly. The ones my Great-Grandmother had were plastic and were just the little bowls that stuck in the cake. These are glass and are really itty bitty glasses. I love them so much!
The framed ad behind the cake came from Melissa in KS who found it while looking through some old magazines not too long ago and was sweet enough not only to think of me, but to send it to me too. Thank you Melissa!

I dreamed of pink iced cake with the toasting glasses in it for years now. So, when they arrived, I had no choice but to bake a full-on Birthday cake and slathered it with pink icing. Really! No one is even having a birthday at our house. But, we have a pink Birthday Cake, just the same.

Thank you and Cheers to all my Blog Friends!














7 comments:

  1. Seriously? I FLAMINGO dishcloth?! You are the luckiest girl, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky girl! Such fun mail! I now need some of those glasses, they are too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa9:47 PM

    There is nothing better than a package in the mail! I am glad you like the toasting glasses ad. And your cake is a bit more attractive than your monkey cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition to baking the cake, you should have put up your Christmas tree since getting this much stuff at one time definitely made it Xmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Nick...what a sweetie! Love the flamingo dishtowel. The glasses look so neat on the cake! Until you mentioned them, I'd never seen then before.

    Oh, and any excuse for a pink frosted layer cake is a good excuse in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney11:22 PM

    What a pretty, girly cake! I love it!!! And that girl playing the banjo hankie is TO DIE FOR!!! Amazing finds as usual!
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers