What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Why Men Shouldn't Be Allowed To Leave The House

Yesterday as I stepped into Hobby Lobby - this was the first thing I saw. A husband dead to the world asleep on a 30% off leather chair right in the very front of the store. This is also a very good reason to never leave the house wihtout your camera. DS thought I couldn't get a photo without getting caught, but, ha ha, I got a good one!
After our bargain hunting trip to Hobby Lobby, we stopped in at Kohl's. I've never been to Kohl's, but a friend of mine gave me a $20.00 merchandise credit that was going to expire yesterday. Hey, that's a free $20.00! I was going to just grab something for the gift closet, but then I spotted this clock, thermometer thingamabob. We've been needing an outdoor clock for awhile. This is a copper one and it is 18" tall and very nice. It was priced $69.99, but all summer items were 55% off. So, after discounts and my merchandise credit - I only paid $11.39 for it. My Mom looked through the purses and found a really nice leather bag for $3.60. It was 90% off from $36.20. A heck of a deal. Ds even found a Gameboy DS game for $11.00. I may have to hit Kohl's again - if only for the Clearance!

Yes, I know, Easter was a month ago. But, I am a fun and frugal Mom so when I found this Gingerbread Easter House Kit last week for a mere $1.00, I had to buy it. DS had fun building it and decorating it. But, he had the most fun smashing the h-e-double hockey sticks out of it with a hammer. Sadly, it tasted gross and it went in the trash. But, he had fun making it!

2 comments:

  1. I am SHOCKED that you have never been to Kohl's. I shop there frequently, but ONLY hit the clearance racks. I have found ds's shirts for $1 on a red tag clearance. I have found "delicates" for as little as 97¢.
    I can get NEW clothes at Kohl's,cheaper than used at GW.

    DS needed a new blanket for his bed and they had "coverlets" on SALE for $15.99, but it rang up at $31.99. I was using a $10 coupon, but it was still more than I wanted to spend(cheapskate). The lady said they had a NO HASSLE policy and re-rang it for $15.99, so I ended up paying $5.99. I LIKE THAT POLICY!!!

    You will now be addicted to Kohl's, can you handle it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Unfortunately, I live near a Kohl's and love to go there. They constantly have great sales, so I don't ever buy anything that isn't on sale.

    Love the sleeping hubby. At least his wife is getting to shop in peace and quiet.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers