What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

JUNK Swap Update: Today is mail day. Please mail your swap package and
then email your partner and me (or leave a comment on this post) saying
that you have mailed it. SvelteSTUFF reports a 15 lb package and I have
a 10 lb. package - That's 25 pounds of JUNK with only two people
reporting in so far. I'm late inposting this - I was without Internet this morning *gasp* and I was forced to CLEAN HOUSE instead of piddle on the computer.

Have you ever seen such PINK Hydrangeas? These are growing in my backyard and just make me happy.

We fired up our new grill yesterday for the obligatory Memorial Day BBQ.
DH had just put the chicken breast and turkey burgers on the grill, when,
literally, out of nowhere, came a torential downpour. He made it to the
front porch but left the food on the grill. Luckily, the rain only
lasted about ten minutes and the food cooked just fine. Actually, it
turned out better than usual, because he couldn't stab it with a fork and
turn it over a million times. Earlier in the day we were at the cemetary
putting out flowers and a sudden rainshower hit then too. Luckily we
were almost to the car at that point, but we had just walked about a
block from the car and were on our way back. I can't get wet since I'm made of pure sugar and all. I told DS that when I wass little and he actually used to protect me from the rain so I wouldn't melt.

We stopped at an indoor sale yesterday on the way home from the cemetary.
It has been sort of a permanent indoor garage sale for the past two
months. The items are all priced with flea market tags and higher prices
than any yard sale I've ever seen. But, yesterday was the last day and
everything was 50% off. That's more my style. I did discover that I
should have looked at all the prices on my first visit a month ago
because I found some good deals. For instance, I saw three pieces of
matte white pottery on a table. One was priced $19.99, one was $29.99
and one was $1.00. Now, I'll give you three guesses as to which one I
bought....ha! They had items from different families and all different
people priced things in their own way. Hence, the $1.00 piece of
pottery. Actually, it was only 50¢ afer the discount! I also bought a
big glass biscuit jar. I had just seen these at Wal-Mart the other day
for nearly $20.00. It is new, but has that vintage candy counter look to
it. I decided to put my vintage cookie cutter collection in it and then
I could add to it until it was full. Well, whoopsie, I had enough to
chuck it full plus enough for another jar (or two).

At the Salvation Army on Friday I found five old glass jars with metal
screw on lids. I know they sell new versions of these old jars for
storage, so I was excited to find old ones! And, they were only $1.00
each. They have the old purple ink price on top that reads 239¢. I
think these might have been peanut butter jars. I can see them full of
buttons, ribbons, spools or beans, rice and macaroni or flour, sugar,
cornmeal, etc. Of course, candy would be cool, but who needs five huige
jars of candy!



Friday I received a fun package from Miss Heidi at Vacuuming in High Heels and Pearls. She sent me, for absolutely no reason at all, the vey nicest package of fruity goodness.
Love, love, love the fun fruit potholders. So fun, so vintage and so me.
She handmade the cards and the folder - the whole enchilada. What talent! I didn't even know she made cards! And, she made them and desgned them just for me. Oh, it gave me a tingly happy feeling the rest of the day to be the recipient of goodies for no reason at all. Thank you Heidi. You are a good Blog Buddy!

And, for a chuckle, here's a photo to make you say, "Whattha.......". I
bought this game at a yard sale last week called "Butt-head". You put
the caps on and throw balls at each others heads. I think this might be
more of an adult drinking game, but it provided many a chuckle this
weekend with family members. (Yes, DS is in a wheelchair - I hate it
when he sits in his Great-Grandmother's wheelchair - but he thinks it is
fun!) That's my Uncle with him doning a Butthead hat too.

3 comments:

  1. Shara-you are just too funny :P I wish I would have thought of the pure sugar story for my boys to shelter me on a few occasions!

    I heard from Merrill this evening, but since I'm leaving tomorrow, I am just going to have to mail out on Saturday when I return.

    Holy cow--25 lbs between the two of you!! I don't have a scale so I will have to report back after mailing. Thanks for hosting this swap!

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting the swap! I am looking forward to receiving my box of junk. For the record, mine weighed 9 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent Breanna's package on Tuesday and received hers today. Will post photos later.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers