What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

I was so sad

I went to a HUGE Yard Sale today.

But, when I got there - it had been cancelled.

I was sad.

But, that's okay the Super Cheap Thrift Store is open on Saturdays!

But, when I got there - it was closed.

I was so sad.

But, that's okay. I'll go pick up some frozen pizzas that we like for SuperBowl Sunday.

But when I got there - they were SOLD OUT.

I was so, so sad.

I shoulda stayed home.

Oh well.

I have found a few goodies in the past week so I will "pretend" that I got them today! I found this fabulous old razor at the Super Cheap Thrift Store for $1.50 last week. I think it might be bakelite or catalin. It is in a cool leather case with tartan plaid lining. Where you can see the plaid on the battery pack is really a mirror so you can see yourself shaving while out camping. It is really neat. It doesn't look like a real money maker, but that's okay.


I adore this sweet little sewing cabinet. It stands about 10" tall and has little drawers marked buttons, thread, needles, snaps, pins and utility. I got this for $1.00 at the hospital thrift store. The funny thing is I sent one very much like this to Oliveoyl in her box the day before! So, I parted with one and found another one. I've got it displayed next to my big old vintage jar of old buttons.


I went outside the other night and spotted these handprints in the snow that DS had made. I love this picture because there is nothing to show the scale of his handprints. This picture is like the picture I still have of DS in my mind. In my mind he still has little fat baby hands. Nevermind that they are bigger than mine now. In my mind he is still waist high to me and wears jammies and sleeps with his Pooh bear. In my mind he is forever three and that's alright with me. (He did leave me a kiss on my camera the other day)

4 comments:

  1. Ds does look like he's had a growth spurt. He looks more mature. Funny how fast they grow! I was looking at pictures of my ds just two years ago...wow! He's no longer a little boy now, sniff.

    Anyway, I love that sewing cabinet. I got some neat stuff today at the thrift...I posted it on my blog, and I'm posting it over at YSQ.

    Hope you get out again soon! Tomorrow's another week...there's always tomorrow.(Gone With the Wind Music playing). Or did Scarlet say something about always having Tara...can't remember. oh, well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute sewing box! I saw one at the "antique mall" last Wed, but it was tall and narrow and I think they had $15 on it.I like my gifted one just fine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:20 PM

    Neat items. I wouldn't be surprised if that razor did really well if it is bakelite.

    Love your son's hand prints. The kissing picture looks cute. I'd save that one for a blackmail picture when he gets older and is into girls.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute your son leaving you a smooch. My youngest DS is 14 and leaves me little notes saying "I love you Mom"...awww

    Love the sewing box!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers