What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Expletive! Expletive! Expletive!

Boy am I steamed! My son has been sick for three weeks now. Trip #1 to the doctor netted him a wimpy antibiotic that didn't do anything - in fact, he got worse. Trip #2 to the doctor netted him a stronger antibiotic that is to be taken twice daily, but he is to take them both at once to give that old infection a double whammy. Saturday he complained of a slight stomach vche. Sunday, he was very quiet and introvereted all day. Yesterday he was in tears with his stomach aching and cramping. I made a call to the nurse at the doctor yesterday afternnoon inquiring about the stomach cramping. The nurse returned my call this morning - after I had already stoked him up with the antibioitcs for the day. I was told that this antibiotic needs to be taken with a BIG meal halfway through the meal so the medication is sort of sandwiched in between layers of food otherwise it will irritate the stomach and cause terrible stomach cramping. What the ? It says right on the d@mn bottle - "May be taken with or without food". No one said to EAT with it. He's been getting right out of bed and taking it and then he isn't hungry because the stomach cramps start. So, he has been sitting there with a double dose of stomach cramping medication sitting on an empty belly eating away. Oh, I am sooo steamed. Someone could have told us this! So, here he is home missing yet another day of school. Had he gone, they would have sent him home plus he would have been miserable. And when I don't send him, I get a note from the school whining about his absences. Oh, what to do, what to DO!

I'll tell you what I am going to do! I am going to get in the car and take DH for a ride. The stomach cramps are better, but still there somewhat. But, we have been cooped up for days and days and days and need a BREAK. He likes getting out and going for our famous rides, so that is what we will do today. To HECK with the doctors and school and everything else. Ooooh, I am soooo steamed! P.S. His Bronchitis is better - one small thing to be thankful for!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:27 PM

    KNOW what you mean, my dd was on an antibiotic and I had to have it refilled. My dh and I were house shopping (after a total loss house fire so time was of the essence) and when it was time for her dose we had our 15 yr old get give her the chewable tablet...HE NOTICED IT WAS NOT THE CORRECT MEDICINE THERE WAS TWO *()&*%^$%^(#$(^ different pills in the brand new bottle...OMG what if my ds didn't catch it-what if it was something horrible. Lots of 15 year olds would have to dispense an antibiotic if they were babysitting and the kid needed them X times a day while parents worked BUT OMG was I a terrible wreck over that boon-doggle! I just threw it out after yelling at the pharmacist ...I should have really raised he!!.

    I especially can't stand the BS with the schools-=it's OK when THEY send your kid home but when you as a PARENT decide the letters come PUHLEEEZE who's child is this? I empathize...hope you had a great day out touristing.

    Chrisx4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in the schools daily and there has truly been an epidemic this year. We just had a 16 yr.old h.s. student pass away last week from complications of the flu. This is some serious sh*t this yr.!!!! My ds who typically misses 2-3 days the entire year, has already missed 9 days. Yep, doesn't matter that mom WORKS for the schools and diligently calls and sends absence notes, I still get the state mandated letter. He is trying out for the track team and came home yesterday w/a sore throat. Sent him to school all doped up(allergy meds), cuz he'd be damned if he was missing track practice and chancing getting cut.

    Used to be that students were sent home when temp was 99, now it has to be over 100 b/f the parents are REQUIRED to pick them up. What the f*ck, no wonder the germs can't be controlled,the contaminators are allowed to stay!!!!

    I feel ya frustration!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:02 PM

    Sorry that your son is sick. I hope he gets better soon. My co-worker has had a nasty cough for two months and can't seem to get rid of it either. She's been to the doctor at least twice. Oh, well, we're all ready for some warm spring weather.

    See ya on the boards!

    Haystack

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers