What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, August 21, 2006

"When Can I Stay Home With You Again Forever?"


When DS started Kindergarten, he and I had not been apart for one minute since the day he was born. A rare occurance in today's society. If he couldn't go with me, I didn't go. And, really, I still pretty much do that today. On his first day of Kindergarten, after I picked him up, he got on my lap and asked, "When can I stay home with you again forever?" And, the hardest truth I ever admitted to him came out of my mouth - "Never." Growing up is hard, but he has progressed. Today he started Midle School - a new school, new teachers, a new schedule, etc. But, he'll do fine. I remember learing a lot of new things in 5th grade - not just polishing up math, handwriting and spelling like the previous years - but actually learning science, history, etc. He has a very sharp mind and can remember anything so I know learning new things will be right up his alley. Now, if I could just adjust....

2 comments:

  1. 5th grade is in middle school? WOW! Our district is 6,7,8 for MS, 5th is still condsidered elem. Not sure if my ds would have been ready for ms in 5th gr. Hope you are ready to face all the changes he will go through in the next few yrs. It is amazing the transformation they go through when they hit puberty. I am dealing with lots of "attitude" and trying my best to not let him get to me. I just have to walk away and take a time out for myself. DS is generaly a very loving kid, but he seems to be possessed right now. There seems pills and therapy to help w/every other problem, but not with the "Damian syndrome". Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that never goes through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:32 PM

    "When can I be with you forever?" Sniff, sniff...Shara, that's so precious! I've got a son like that...we are always together, but he's also got a mind of his own. It's nice to savor these times because they grow up and fly out of the nest before you know it! I try to make every moment count.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers