What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Big 4-Ooooh.

Yesterday was my birthday. I turned 40. I don't even want to say that out loud. Mostly because I remember my 30th birthday like it was a year ago. Time is going too fast and I don't like it -not one little bit. My son starts Middle School on Monday and I am not dealing with all the emotions of getting older and him growing up very well right now. Have you seen that commercial where the lady is doing her son's laundry and they play, "Baby Boy is Growing Up..." and then the big 18 year old boy walks in? Damn, that makes me cry. That's going to be me - Mom to a .....MAN!

We got Stu the VUE back today after a week of driving the tiny rental around. It was something in the computer board, but it was all under warranty so it didn't cost us a dime. The really odd thing is that I noticed the mileage is 22,552 and I KNOW it was only 18,000 when they towed it to the dealership. DH got out the paperwork they gave us today, and sure enough, the mileage reads 18,052 on the paperwork. So, somehow when they reset the new computer board, it messed with the mileage and added 2,000 mies to it. Or someone took it to California for the weekend.....A call tomorrow will straighten it out, but I doubt they can change it back or fix it. I guess I am lucky that it wasn't 20,000 miles!

My Step-father's Mother died today. I only met her once, but she was a sweet lady and she meant the world to him and my Mom. The funeral is Saturday morning.

We went to the Open House at the Middle School on Monday night and met the teachers. His homeroom teacher seemed nice, but we really only said hello to her. Some of his friends are in his class, so that will help him adjust.



My son is ten years old and very bright and smart and grown up and all that good stuff. He has a very active imagination and still loves to play. I am going to stay close to home the next few days before he goes to school so he can play and be his three year old inner self. He gets into these games in his head and I don't have any idea what he is is doing. But, he's happy and having fun, so who cares! Other boys his age are into 4-wheelers, Playstation and dissing their Mom's. He still loves his Mama!

2 comments:

  1. There is nuttin wrong with a boy lovin his momma. You know if he treats you good then that will carry over to the lucky woman he marries someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Hey Shara...too bad we don't live closer! My 8 year old is like that too...very imaginative. He loves to read and stay inside and dream up stories. The only outdoor thing he likes is his swing or playing tag with his dad, or with other kids at the playground. He wants to be a director when he grows up. We do puppet shpws everyday together.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers