What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Sock Monkey

I am always on the look out for sock monkeys when I go thrifting or yard saling. I may have mentioned this before. Once at a yard sale, I bought 11 sock monkeys for $10.00. They were all vintage and had personalities. So, when I listed them on ebay, rather than calling them Monkey #1, Monkey #2, etc., I named them Monty, Maggie, etc. and gave them life stories. They ended up selling for about $25.00-$50.00 EACH for a grand total of $287.00.

Not too long ago I bought two pairs of red heel socks at the thrift for $1.00. They were brand new and still had the sock monkey pattern included. So, last week, I decided to make a sock monkey - my first. I used to be quite "crafty" for lack of a better word. But, lately other interests had responsibilites have taken over my crafty time. It only took me a little over an hour to make him. Since this photo I have added a fun blue striped hat and striped scarf to him to give him character. I'm considering making some and listing them on ebay. I would love to find a niche that allowed me to sell on ebay, but not bring home so much STUFF all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers