What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, October 09, 2014

The Week in Junk: Junk Ranch Edition

I never really leave my booth at The Junk Ranch.  I feel bad leaving Lara to watch over my five thousand items while she's trying to sell her items.  I do have to make a bathroom run every once in awhile though.  (This may be TMI, but at The June Junk Ranch - none of us used the bathroom ALL DAY LONG.  And we drank and drank and drank.  And by none of us, I mean NONE of the vendors.  It was so weird.  Super hot and dehydrated, I guess.  It was such a relief to come home and finally .....well - YOU KNOW.  SO much in fact that Lara texted me to let me know she had finally well, YOU KNOW.  It's like "We're going to be okay!  Hooray!"

ANYWAY.

On my last run of the day, I spotted some vintage Christmas in a booth so I detoured a minute to check it  out.  I had sold all my vintage ornaments, so I thought if they had some I might pick them up.  They did have a few boxes, but they were a bit ordinary and they were a bit high for me, so I was about to leave.  But then I spotted a big cardboard box on the ground and in it.......Elves, pixies and other cuties.  OH MY.  I had seen a lady carrying around the cutest vintage Santa earlier and I yearned for it so much I considered bonking her on the head for it.  She was older, I could have taken her.  :)  But, she was also my friends mother, so I held myself back.  It was SO hard.  

Flash forward in that box  - an identical Santa!  I couldn't find a price, so I asked.  The price was more than I usually pay for things - $5.00 each -  but let's all remember that I am the cheapest person ever.  I dug in the box and came up with six that I loved and she made me a group deal on them (without me asking).  I paid $20.00 for all six, but I had just sold something for $20.00 that I paid $1.00 for - so I like to think I paid $1.00 for them.  (Junker Math).  And, really, $3.33 each is actually a super good price, I think you will agree.  She told me that the box was overflowing that morning. Lara knew her and she is a local person so I cannot imagine where she found a hoard of such cuteness locally!   And WHY DIDN'T I FIND IT FIRST?

Oh, you want to see them?????

Aren't they just the BEST?

They are sitting on the Chocolate covered Cherry box that Marci brought me all the way from Kansas.



This one on the paper moon is a favorite.  I have never seen one like this - SO CUTE!

On another bathroom run I scored the plaid tablecloth for $1.00, the little crocheted chicken for $1.00 and the old jar lid for 50¢.  

Just enough junk to make me happy.  I sold a lot of stuff, so I thought I needed a little something for myself.  You do that too - RIGHT?  (Tell me yes, okay?)  




11 comments:

  1. LIKE your 'junker math'!
    I think we may have had the same math teacher ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course I do!! Good finds Shara! Love that Santa!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I want, especially the Santa, can I bonk you on the head and run away with it? I love your finds and I'm glad you had a successful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are perfect in every way. Glad they were still waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never worry about what you missed...it will drive you bonkers and you did end up with some cuties. Love that Marci made it to the show...what fun to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you need to hunt when you can otherwises you miss out. Those pixies/elves have the best expressions. Good job.
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I don't sell things at shows like you do but I do still look for ways to reward myself. Oh, I put dishes away on the same day the dishwasher finished? Well I guess I deserve a new piece of Pyrex!

    It happens. A lot.

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Junker Math -- I do the same thing and it's always right the first time somehow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

  9. I just love finding a box of Christmas goodies like you found , darn wish you had seen them before the other lady earlier in the day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your finds Shara and I had so much fun! It was awesome meeting you and Lara and I already can't wait for the next one! I'm making a junk ranch post today, check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think she's a hoarder, though, so she could have found those elves before you were even born. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers