What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

What's up?


*My Christmas Village is still up.  

And I light it up every day.


I still get a kick out of my Chick-fil-A that I bought after Christmas last year.  And that red VW.

 *My Santa collection is still up in the living room.

The bottle brush village is still on display.

I'm not happy that it's still up.  Everything else is packed away.  But, it doesn't really bother me either.  I just haven't had the time to take it all down, pack it correctly and squirrel it away on the shelves in the garage.  I'm sure it will get done eventually.  I did finish up some valentine crafts tonight for a swap and now I'm hoping to do a little Valentine decorating.  I have big visions of only my pink and white pottery on the shelves, vintage Valentines, the feather tree covered in Heart to Heart Valentines.......we shall see.

My Mom is in a different Rehab Hospital now.  This is more of a long term facility - the type where you get Rehab, but lots of rest and healing time too.  It is in a beautiful place - fancier than most hotels I have ever visited.  The people that built it made a place where you would feel like you were NOT in a hospital but at a resort.  Shiny dark wooden floors, grand piano, china in the dining room, huge fountain in the courtyard, as well as private rooms and private dining rooms.  It's really, really nice.  And the care is amazing.  They know where you are - you are free to roam the entire facility from the rehab wing to the long term wing to the Pods where there are apartments.  There are social events and field trips, Bingo, music and 50" TV's in all the day rooms and hallways.  My Mom is very happy there.  Except for the whole being  a big old broken mess, that is.  :(  But, she is getting better.  She can feed herself now with a little prep - open her milk pull everything close to her so she can reach it and make certain everything can be stabbed with a fork.  She can't eat oatmeal by herself, but put her soup in a cup and she is good to go.  

The Breadman started his new job on Christmas Eve.  It took three weeks to get his first paycheck and boy howdy, did we need that!  Right now he is the "extra man" for SaraLee.  He will be buying out a route after some re-configurations within the company.  The weird thing is that rumor has it that SaraLee is buying the Wonder Bread and Twinkie lines so he just might be stocking those items again one day.  This week he has to travel away to help with another branch, so tomorrow he has to pack and leave.  He is such a light packer.  I am just the opposite.  He will say, "I will just wear a hat, so I won't have to pack a comb".  Uh, hello, a comb takes up less space than a hat.  He'll probably take two changes of clothes and I would take nine.  He's staying at a Holiday Inn Express and he has a gorgeous 2013 rental in the driveway to boot.  For being the new guy, he is getting some fancy perks.  Some time apart might be good because I am so tired and so stressed all the time that I have been really, really short with him.  Really.  Luckily he hasn't smacked me one.  I KID.  He's taken it in stride, but I know I need to chill.  It's just that sometimes there has to be someone that you use as your scapegoat.  And he's turned into mine and I know that isn't good.  I need to get road rage or yell at the cashier at Wal-Mart to clear my mind.  :D

I stopped working at the Flea Market.  I still have my booth, but my day working there would be much better spent with my Mom or cleaning my house or homeschooling or really just about anything constructive. I feel out of place and worthless away from everyone for a day when I really wasn't getting paid anyway.  It's been nice not paying rent or commission, but it's not that much in the end.  Sometimes time is more valuable than money.  Sales have been good and I have been able to keep the booth stocked and current even with everything else going on.  

Thanks for still coming back to read this old blog.  I want to get back into thrifting and junking and being me again.  Someday.....someday.  I've dropped all the way down to Number 21 on Top Vintage Blogs.  I was as high as 12 before my life got turned upside down.  Maybe I'll hit the Motherlode of GOOD JUNK someday and shoot right back up to the top.  Or at least 12 again.  

So, that's what's up with me.  How about you?  

12 comments:

  1. Yes, 'time...time...time'. It DOES seem to be the ultimate commodity in 2013! I cannot believe it is almost half way through Jan. and I have NOT stepped foot into a Thrift yet!!! ~and~ THANK YOU for making me feel a 'bit' better about the fact that I am still belaboring taking down and packing up my XMAS DECOS!!!!
    GLAD to hear your Mom is in a Good place!
    S~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Shara, if I was in a place like your Mom (and could have my sewing machine) I might not want to go back home!

    I can't imagine how you managed to get everything done like you did with all you had going on.

    and I also can't imagine any better blogs in the vintage category. Yours is the best in my opinon!

    Hang in there and if it's any consolation I still have my tree up! Although we had 35 people here for our annual open house last Sunday I have managed to get almost everything else put away.

    I insanely put all the food on my good Christmas china and get out various other serving stuff and it took me a whole afternoon of washing, wrapping and packing to get that all done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blog and whenever you have time to post, I'm here!!!!Your Mom is most important!!! I wish I still had both my parents, they died too young!!Keep your chin up!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do understand the TIME thing. That was my 2011 and part of 2012; lost both of my in-laws and put my Dad in assisted living, cleaned and sold both houses 1000 miles away from where I live and worked both of RL jobs while traveling back and forth.
    My mantra was "This too shall pass" and eventually it does.
    The rehab where your Mom is staying sounds lovely. I'm glad she is on the mend. All progess is good.
    Hang in there! We'll all be back to junkin' soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do understand the TIME thing. That was my 2011 and part of 2012; lost both of my in-laws and put my Dad in assisted living, cleaned and sold both houses 1000 miles away from where I live and worked both of RL jobs while traveling back and forth.
    My mantra was "This too shall pass" and eventually it does.
    The rehab where your Mom is staying sounds lovely. I'm glad she is on the mend. All progess is good.
    Hang in there! We'll all be back to junkin' soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there! This too shall pass. How do you find out you're #12 or #21? All of us blog friends consider you in our top ten, no matter what you post about because we care about you. Junk is fun, but people are more important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I follow probably 60+ blogs and yours is always one of the top 3 that I check first. I love to see your great finds and your humor is refreshing! Hang in there and keep family FIRST! :)
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl your blog is always #1 with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a crazy time you've had. So glad you Mom is doing well and improving! I am glad you and the Breadman will have a small break, sometimes that really helps with the stress. I do miss you vintage finds but you will get back to it when things slow down! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even if the"experts" say you're 21 your a "1" with those of us who read your blog. I check everyday to see if there's something new. I can understand needing a little time apart from the Breadman. We women always need a little "alone" time. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mom isn't going to want to leave! So happy to hear she's continuing to improve. And like the others here, I love looking for a new posting on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shara,
    So glad your Mom is feeling better. Many of us have walked in your oh so very busy shoes! You are doing great! All in your family are lucky to have you watching over them and facing each day with a smile and strength. Blessing to all in your family and your "vintage blog" is #1 in my book.
    Thoughts and Prayers to you all,
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers