What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

What in the World?

In putting my regular things out this year since I put away the Christmas decorations (ok, I confess, those darn Santa's are still up.  But, they are a collection and I am all about collections, so I don't m ind them too much.  I will get them boxed up.  I really will....), I am trying to mix things up and make things different.  While doing that, I seem to have discovered a couple of new collections.  Whoopsie.

I thought I was selling all the old globes that I run across.  I know I have sold about five of them in the past year.  The largest one lights up and is on a Lucite base.  The next largest is a tin Zodiac globe.  I bought this one at a sale where they had left the kids in charge for a minute.  Big mistake when nothing is marked.  They quoted me a price of a quarter, so I paid it and RAN.  (Don't leave your kids in charge!) The other two are tin banks - the smallest one missing it's base, but still pretty cute.  

I'm in kind of a squabble with some family members about what is "junk" and what is not "junk".  What is proper decor and what is not.  They are the type of people to go to Pier One and buy a big painting of a tree or a building or some random thing, stick it on the wall and call it done.  (If you go to Pier One and buy paintings of trees, I apologize.  But, if you are the type to do that, I don't think you would be reading this blog, so apology retracted.  Unless you are - apology re-instated).  Just because something is not their taste, they think it should be discarded.  Not everyone has the same tastes.  Thank goodness.

I prefer to hunt and gather things and then make displays.  This particular display of globes, old window and architectural pieces, a giant Gas Station number "8" I rescued from the middle of the highway, old German books I thrifted for 10¢ each and a couple of old cake stands would drive these family members CRAZY.  It makes no sense, it's all weird stuff from yard sales and it doesn't go together.  I take that as a compliment.  Well, I LIKE it and I think it works.  So, that's the difference between THEM and me.  

You like it, don't you?  No one else in the whole wide world could make the exact same display because I have picked things up forever and saved them.  Anyone can go to Pier One* and buy the same exact tree painting.

**Disclaimer.  I have never even been to Pier One and it's probably a super cool place.  If Pier One wants to send me a million dollar gift card, I would be cool with that.  :D

*I orerded a new camera so my sucky iphone shots will soon be a thing of the past.  

11 comments:

  1. Shara I am so with you on this one! All the matchy matchy poo poo stuff just isn't for me. I like, no make that LOVE eclectic and find it much more interesting. I would love you home for sure! I love the globes, I have only one since I'm trying like heck not to get another collection! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Pottery Barn, Pier One or other big name store at my house. I may have a couple of items mixed in from those stores...but 98% vintage finds..with their own personality! On the same page as you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather like your display. (But that is coming from a person who doesn't really care what others think, and likes to find Kewpie dolls and make Kewpie families.) *lol* When I move they will for sure be on display smiling at everyone that thinks they are creepy. *hahaha*

    I have been to Pier One 2-3 times in my life. While they do carry some nice things "They are rather expensive IMO" And I would rather spend my hard earned money on unique things then run of the mill items all the magazines and style shows tell us to go buy.

    NOBODY could make the same displays us thrifty people can. =p
    But we could copy them in a instant if we felt like wasting our money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Pier One (don't have Pottery Barn here) but what I like to do is look there and then pick "junk" for a similar effect. Much more thrill to the hunt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on Pier One!! Unless of course it is in the thrift store, marked down and something I can reuse. Because I believe in recycling and reusing, not just getting rid of something because I bought it last year.I would NEVER go to Pier One and by new stuff. NEVER. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha! Love the apology part!
    I think I would be in love with your house! Not boring and so much uniqueness I would be in complete decor heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty positive I have the exact same globe! (The one with the zodiac).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have a globe bank - I agree, it's more fun to decorate with unique bits and pieces...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might think you have a cluttered house or I might think you have an artistically decorated house (which I do), but what it really boils down to (as my mom used to say) is that it's your house and your likes that matter! I do like the pictures you've shown of your decor, by the way. I like the globes, and accidental collections are sometimes the most fun to have. I haven't been to Pier One in many years, but I understand that they are different from how they used to be and probably not a store I'd enjoy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the globes. A lot of magazines who promote shabby chic don't have anything on people like you (and me). Why be a cookie cutter decorator when it's more fun to find a lot of junk and make it look like art? When I say junk I say it with a lot of affection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't been to a Pier 1 in ages but last year I stopped into the one near my house and was pleasantly surprised. They did have some neat stuff and good clearance prices! And I've gone back a few times since. But I swear, I haven't bought any any tree artwork.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers