What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mother's Day Display

Over the years I have been drawn to several vintage "Mother" themed items.  I love the framed prints with violets and poems.  They are so much classier than "My Mom ROCKS" or some of the new MOM themed items.  This is the first year that I actually remembered to put them all out in a small display for Mother's Day.  They usually sit on a shelf in my office. 

 I added in a few vintage candy boxes and some vintage flower bunches to give it a punch, plus what else do you get for Mother's Day besides flowers and candy? 
I added in a few babies, because you gotta have a baby to earn being a MOM, right?  I started to collect these babies the year we got married.  We used to travel to a family reunion and I found the first one at a gift shop in that town.  The next year I bought the other one.  But, I never found another one in all my years of thrifting, saling and shopping.  I digress.  I love those old "Mother" cups and the plaque is sweet with the crown on it.
I added in a few old Mother-Daughter photos I have too.

I love this old Kewpie doll and the glass flowers.  You can't beat the graphics on the print.

I adored these babies at my Great-Grandmother's house when I was little and know I am the proud owner of them.  They are salt and pepper shakers, but I cannot imagine using them as such!

It's a small collection, but it's just the right size for my shelf. And a good way to celebrate Mother's Day.


Happy Mother's Day to my Mom.   She's the best Mom and ever and my best friend too.
And to The Bean - thanks for making me a MOM!

Happy Mother's Day to all of you too!

(PS - Thanks for all the Mister Van Damme love.  I wrote that post on a whim so I was happy that everyone enjoyed it.  More MVD stories to come!)

5 comments:

  1. happy mother's day Shara. He is so cute no wonder you call him the bean he was no larger than one.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day Shara! OMG, your display is wonderful. I love all of the baby figurines. Everything is displayed so beautifully. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your display is so nice, Shara! You've really got a great collection. I never did get around to making a display, just kinda set everything out in a haphazard way. I hope you have a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your collection of Mom cups and poems. Those dolls are so fun! Great display. Happy Mother's Day to you! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shara, just getting caught up on my computer from the whirlwind trip. Love the Van Damme story - too funny - glad you found him a new home! Your Mother's Day display is perfect. and the picture of you and the bean absolutely adorable. Happy belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers