What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Joplin


I am in utter despair over the tornadoes in Joplin, only a mere 80 miles from me.  The distraction is terrible.  I watch the local news and they are there.  I watch the National News and they are there.  My local newbie reporter and Diane Sawyer, side by side, reporting on the same thing.  My local weather guy and Sam Champion are both there.  I cannot imagine losing everything you own, your family, your car, your workplace, everything you know.  It's just instantly all gone.  We were just in Joplin less than a month ago.  They showed a gas station where we stopped and it was all but destroyed.  Weather is such a terrifying thing.  So uncertain.  It scares me.  It rained 8" at my house today.  The streets were closed down and traffic came to a stand still.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a really rough weather day.  I am not looking forward to it.  Stay safe.  And pray for Joplin, please.

9 comments:

  1. My prayers are with all of those affected. Thinking of you Shara. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here (thinking of you and your family)...the weather is a scary thing and just seems so unpredictable. I'm here on the other side of Missouri (KY) constantly watching the sky whenever storm clouds roll in. My heart goes out to those folks (and the ones in AL, MN, and the many other places that have seen devastation from weather in the past few weeks). It is especially scary when it is so close to our own homes though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shara my thoughts and prayers are with those in Joplin. I am so saddened by the destruction and loss of life. Stay safe. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's dreary and rainy today but I keep thinking it could be worse--It could be 8" in one day (build an ark!) or it could be pouring rain on the shattered remains of my home. Puts things into perspective, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following the Joplin disaster and my heart breaks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just awful and my heart breaks for the people of Joplin. I don't even know where to begin to pray...I will though. Stay safe (and dry)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's Tuesday as I leave this comment. Here in NE OK, we're already under assorted watches. We're already been warned that would could see a major outbreak tonight. It's impossible not to be scared. I can't imagine what the people of Joplin are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got back from vacay and heard the news...made me feel way selfish for the wonderful week I had been having. Devastating. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Between the tornadoes that hit here in MN and wreaked havoc in one of the poorer areas here and the devastation (and distraction) in Joplin, it is just overwhelming.

    It just seems to go on and on...

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers