What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Batten Down The Hatches


BREAKING NEWS:

ICE STORM

coming our way.

Not again.  Please, tell me, not again.


Not again.

If you live around here, not a day goes by without someone mentioning "The Ice Storm" last year. Ironically, exactly one year ago today. We still have limbs hanging from the trees, a patched roof that has to be repaired, broken fence pickets, a smashed BBQ Grill in the side yard and a broken wrought iron gateway. We are not finished repairing from last year!


The trees still look like this - without the ice.  For now. 


It was pretty during the day.  But so scary at night.  Like a war had broke loose with the trees snapping in half and hitting the ground. 


Three days without power, without heat, no showers, no hot food, no coffee and a dark cold house.

Sigh.

Not again.

So, if I disappear...I will be back.  Someday.  Somehow. Stinky and ready for some hot fried potatoes (my comfort food). 

Off to buy massive amounts of bread and milk.  'Cause that's what you do.  Right?

8 comments:

  1. Melissa12:28 PM

    Oh Shara, I am sorry to hear the forecast. Hopefully they will be wrong. We had an ice storm just like yours a couple of years ago. The trees still don't look right.
    It is a major headache. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Now on the other hand a big 'ole pan of fried potatoes doesn't sound like a bad way to ward off the storm. :o) Be sure to wear one of your aprons and think non icy thoughts!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not good.
    We'll be sending positive thoughts your way, and hoping for the best - 'cause it IS scarey.
    Give us a sign (in some way shape or form), when you can, to let us know that all is well - OKAY?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the worst! Ice Storms are awful. Yes lots of bread and milk (lol) get water and comfort food. Take care and you are in my thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot to mention flash light batteries. Remember Maine had a horrible ice storm 10 years ago. I am still loosing trees that got so stressed during that time. It sounded like bombs when the branches came down. Lets think good thoughts your way for a safe time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, you pour the milk on the snow and soape it up with the bread right?? hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might be time to invest in a generator. We finally did after a hurricane. It has come in handy in several ice storms and a couple of wind storms.

    I stocked up on supplies for chili. They keep calling for snow which is almost a guarantee we won't have any.

    Hope the storm is not as bad as you are prepared for!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in NE OK, we are under the gun for the same storm you are. Our forecast changes by the hour, it might be bad or it might not be. Until it actually hits, we won't know. But I have plenty of canned food on hand, plenty of water, radios, batteries, pet food, firewood and most importantly - instant coffee! I have a gas stove, so I can at least heat water for the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no!! I hope its not like last year! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers