What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Thursday's Thrifty Finds

Today is November 5th, which usually means that Garage Sale Season is pretty much over. But, we are experiencing some lovely summer like weather here in Arkansas, so the sales are still going. The promise of a few sales and the Super Cheap Thrift being open today lured me out of the house.
A nice artsy owl on a Lucite stone. I'm not an owl person, but I see them in plenty of blogs lately. He is Etsy bound.
This sign reminded me of the sign on Kate Go ss el in 's table that says "Plan Ahead" with the little "D" at the end. THINk means - think about what you are doing before you do it so it will all work out in the end. Also Etsy Bound.

I have a Santa mouse like the cheerleader mouse. She is marked 1970 on her foot. She is in need of a cleaning. I know she is a cheerleader with pompoms, but I am hoping I can slide her in the cabinet next to Santa and she will pass as Mrs. Claus. What do you think? She was 75¢. The Dream Pet was in the free bin, the Slinky is an old one for 50¢ and that's an old plastic bolos slide of Mayor McCheese in front for 10¢.



I spotted a box full of Christmas ornaments at one yard sale, which I proceeded to dig through carefully. Sometimes at the bottom of a box of junk, I find one indented ornament or one angel with a spun head and that makes it worth the time. Today I found several ticky-tacky plasticky churches, a nativity scene, a strange angel snowman sort of thing and this:



Santa and his sleigh! For a quarter! I know he is slightly tacky, but I still like him.



Ticky-tacky plasticky stuff seemed to be the theme of the day as I discovered this bag of plasticky goodness at the SCT for 75¢. It is a long chain garland with tons of holly and bells on it. I'm not sure if I will repurpose it or sell it.



And now for THE DEAL OF THE DAY.



The Bean spotted this Hoover Outdoor Sweeper at the thrift. It looked brand new and like something we could actually use to keep our driveway and sidewalks clean. I couldn't find a price, so I asked one of the ladies. She said she thought it was $10.00. I said I would think about it. She left to go back in the backroom and then she came right back out. "You can have it for $5.00 since you are such a good customer." SOLD!

I looked it up on Amazon and they sell for about $90.00! And, more importantly, it works really well. I walked up an down the driveway like I was mowing and it swept up all the leaves, sticks and everything else in the way. I never knew this thing existed, but I love it! Good find, Bean!


I'm hoping to find a few more sales this weekend. It is supposed to be nearly 80 on Saturday, which is unheard of this time of year. I'm hoping people will see that it is a nice day and through their junk out on the lawn to make Christmas shopping money. I have my eye on an auction ad too. I'm junking while I can before the cold takes over soon. It's coming, I know it.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:38 AM

    The plastic wedding bells would be very pretty covered in white glitter for Christmas or a wedding.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm jealous! There are still quite a few yard sales listed on craigslist for this weekend, but the temps are getting ready to plunge! I might have to do some drive-bys in the morning! Your background on your blog is fabulous! Did you make that out of an old table cloth? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:18 AM

    I think maybe your THINk sign means "Think Thin". What do you think. I am reader of your blog and enjoy your finds.

    Shelly
    Arthur, IL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought I'd let you know that I look forward to reading your blog every day. It's the first I check up on and feel happy every time you score a bargain, or visit an apple orchard, or....

    Thank you so much for being such a great blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have that exact plastic garland! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Santa. I've always been a snowman collector but since I've started watching for vintage Christmas it's the Santas that catch me eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just adopted a Santa and Mrs. Claus mouse set like yours from my Mother-in-law. They are so funny. Can't wait to put them out!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers