What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thrifty Thursday

This morning I headed out to the Super Cheap Thrift store even though I not only had The Bean in tow, but The Breadman is still on vacation, so he tagged along as well. When we got thee, there was a big banner outside, "$2.00 Bag Sale". I didn't pay much attention to the sign, because that generally means clothes and I don't buy a lot of clothes at the thrift. I looked around and gathered up a small handful of miscellaneous things and went to pay. As they put it in a bag, I had my $4.25 out to pay when she said, "$2.00 please." After she saw my puzzled look she explained that the entire store (except books, tapes and formal wear) was $2.00 a bag. I told DH that I had to take another look around for $2.00! I ended up stuffing my bag full and still only paid the original $2.00.


My very best find: A pair of vintage Typewriter Key earrings.

I "borrowed" this photo, the ones I bought both say "Back Space". They were on a card with the original $25.00 craft show price tag on it and they were priced, get this... 45¢. But, you guessed it, they slid into my $2.00 bag. I have very mixed feelings about typewriter earrings. I really think they are cool and they speak to the Journalism/Creative Writing Major in me, but I hate the fact that people are tearing apart old typewriters just to get the keys. Old typewriters also speak to the Journalism/Creative Writing Major in me. Because, of this, I never wanted to buy a pair because that would prompt someone to tear apart another old typewriter. But, since I found these at the thrift, that is called recycling, right? So, that makes them okay, yes?

Tomorrow morning the Air Conditioning* guys are coming back to put another duct into our living room and make some adjustments on the Heating part of the system. Someone has to be here while they are here. And since DH is still on vacation, I think he can stay while I hit some yard sales. Yeah, baby.

*I used the term A/C one too many times and I was confusing some of my readers from "Down Under" who are lucky enough to not even need Air Conditioning, so they didn't know what I was talking about. Lucky ducks, they must be.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh...'Journalism/Creative Writing Major' - that explains your amazing posts!! I learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you had a journalism background! Me, too! I have been a journalist for 20 years and now teach it! Those earrings are the coolest. I share your concern about taking apart typewriters, though. It's like cutting up quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:17 AM

    Oh, but the rest of the typewriters MUST have been smashed to bits! Obviously those keys the earrings are made from were the only salvageable parts, right? Of course!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers