What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Well, it is nice to be home except I rather enjoyed the whole no laundry, no cooking, no vacuuming, not toilet scrubbing, no responsibilities thing. I could really get used to that kind of life. I think I ws meant to have a maid, a cook and a housekeeper. But, alas, I am destined to live in this life as a poor gal.

I'll be back with more details and more pictures than you could ever hope to or even want to see shortly. I will leave you with a teaser or two - we rode on an actual electric wire trolley, we visited a Brotel and we met a rooster named Oscar that became our friend (quite possibly The Bean's vacation highlight). I visited two thrift stores and three junk stores and left empty handed at all five. I shopped at a Dollar Store as big as a grocery store and left empty handed too. DH remarked that if "we lived here our house would be a lot less cluttered" Ha ha snort snort. I visited Michael's and found nothing squealworthy. I spent my 50% off coupon on a big punch to make my own tags, but that was all.

Hope you had a good week - I did!

3 comments:

  1. I am just shocked. All that thriftin and nuttin. Were the prices high or just plain crap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELCOME BACK! (okay, let's see you try and get that old sitcom tune out of your head now!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there she is! Back safe and sound! So glad to hear it was fun.
    (like it wouldn't have been)
    I'm having a hard time getting my head around the fact that you went into a thrift and came out with nothing at all! What's up with that???
    Can't wait to see you pictures!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers