What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Cheap Magazines

When I first started this blog, I intended to pass along deals that I find so that others can get them too. Hence, the original name of my blog - My Deal of the Day. Now I just post about my personal deals - yard sale and thrift store finds. So, here's a deal for all of you too!

Amazon has a great deal on magazine subscriptions right now. If you buy two subscriptions, Amazon will take $10.00 off your total. If you click on the link I provided, you will find a list of all the eligible subscriptions for this deal. I got O at Home and Redbook for a grand total of $10.00 for BOTH. O at Home was $12.00, so with the code, I was able to get the Redbook subscription added for $2.00 less than just O at Home. Clear as mud? They have Country Living for $12.00 too. If you read this blog and have similar tastes to mine, you probably already have a subscription to Country Living. I just got my subscription for Country Living and Mary Englebriet's Home COmpanion on on Best Deals Magazines for a total of $20.00 for the two subscriptions. They have a Daily Deal where you can get magazines super cheap. I got my subscription to Country Home on there for about $3.00. It is not like me to suddenly decide to buy four magazine subscriptions, but I decided to splurge. I noticed yesterday that O at Home is nearly $5.00 for one issue. I love magazines, easy to read, not a lot of brain power and fun to look at while I am waiting in line at school for The Bean. I usually buy older copies at the Salvation army for 25¢ each and find freebies at yard sales and the library. But, it occurred to me the other day, that I ws reading about the latest decorating and collecting ideas from about 5-10 years ago. Eh gads, I don't want to know what was hot then! I need to know what is hot now so I can buy and list on ebay the things people are looking for now.

*******
Next time I will post about the fabulous vintage wooden croquet set that I missed out on at a sale on Friday morning. Once I missed it, I really lost my whole yard sale mo-jo and eneded up coming home. But the day was saved later when I went to the thrift and found a fabulous vintage tablecloth with blue and yellow daisies on it for $1.00. And, I already posted this on the boards at
YSQ, but I will also tell you about the sale at the house of a 70 year old couple that had Gospel Music blasting and a sex swing for $45.00. I have now officially, "seen it all".

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:21 PM

    Thanks for reminding me about the magazine sale. I need to check on that.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great deals!! I haven't got a subscription to Country Living, but I buy it every month so I need to get with the savings program and order. I tried your link but I can't seem to pull it up, if you have a chance, could you email it to me?? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers