What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sunny Fun Monday

On Monday we went to the War Eagle Mill. It is a real working Water Powered Grist Mill.

But, to get there, we had to go over this.





The Mill was built in the 1800's and there are a few remaining old buildings in the area. This is a very, very old house. (No this isn't a typical home in Arkansas!)Here's the old General Store located adjacent to the Mill. I wish it was still stocked with old time goodness. I'd break in!


And, can you make this out? Behind the old house hanging over a creek is the clothesline - with clothes still on it! This isn't the Silver Dollar City fake scene houses - this is the real thing! I warned the boys that if I spotted a quilt on the line, I was going over the fence.



This goose ate almost an entire loaf of Wonder Bread right out of my hand. And, he was polite about it!

Next, it was on to Beaver Lake.


DS stood on this rock and skipped stones. Mom and Dad were nervous wrecks. We are not water people - in fact, none of us even know how to swim. Not more than 15 feet out into the water there was a 25 ft. water marker. He would drop a stone and it would go *gluuuunk* to the bottom. He thinks he is invincible. I think he would sink like a rock!

Isn't this cool the way the water has eroded the rocks?


An artsy shot of the shale. Not to be dumb, but is there shale everywhere? I think shale is so awesome. You see a big rock sitting there and you "pick" it up and it disinigrates in your hands to tiny fragments. On one hand, it is sad that it was a rock for so long and now it is not. But, on the other hand, it is also makes you feel very powerful to shatter a rock in your bare hands!
And, apparently, we have seafood in our lakes!

*I have been arranging these photos for an hour and I think they are in the right order, but if not, sorry!

Day trips have been postponed due to a need for new tires on the VUE. A 2:00 appointment and nearly $500.00 is all we need to be "on the road again!"

4 comments:

  1. How nice, I don't even have to get dressed to go on an Arkansas tour. You do it all for me.

    Great pics btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a neat old place! Great pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:07 PM

    You did a great job with these pictures and story line. I enjoyed seeing these very much. Hope you get back on the road soon!

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shara, you find some of the neatest places to visit! And then you post them here so we can all live through your blog. Thank you! Please consider swimming lessons, at least for your precious boy. They might be a lifesaver some day.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers