What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy 5th of July

I'm a day late - but hope everyone had a Happy 4th. Sunday we went to a big parade and that night to the fireworks show here in my small town. It is actually a big presentation, but we don't advertise it to the surrounding towns so they don't come! That might sound tacky, but it keeps the crowds down and only to the people that live here. There was a big demonstration at the University Baseball Stadium last night. We stayed on our side of the Interstate and watched it. The Baseball Stadium is about ten minutes from my house, but last year we went to the Stadium to watch the fireworks and it took nearly an hour and a half just to drive home. If you could call it driving. More like coasting. So, we watched from afar and it was really almost as enjoyable as being really close. Someone was shooting off fireworks before the big event and they had these ones that shot big balls of pink light up into the sky and they just floated forever. I was convinced it was a UFO because it would suddenly just evaporate and then return. It was creepy, yet really cool too.

We came home and let DS set off the very minor things that Mom actually let him buy. I hate fireworks that you do yourself. Dangerous and a waste of money, in my opinion. But, kids think they are great. Luckily, he is a good kid and always minds us and respects us so he is happy with what he gets. One fountain was the most dangerous thing I allowed. I think Daddy thinks I am a wimp, but they scare me. My Mom got hit on the top of her foot with a metal tipped bottle rocket when I was a kid. It swelled up like a football. I think she still has a knot there. The doctors said it would have killed her if it would have hit above the legs anywhere. You should have heard me last night, "Hurry up, get them done, use them up." I suddenly sounded like a really cranky old woman. "Git 'er done!" so I can go IN!

I was so worried about him getting hurt or burned lighting those stupid things. But, he was unharmed. Except the cat got mad and gouged both is knees. And then at the big fireworks show he slipped off the curb and scabbed up both knees and one elbow. And then the chiggers started biting. He looks like a war victim or every other 11 year old boy in the summer.

Every year the newspaper goes out looking for that "one cute kid" for the front page of the newspaper on the 5th of July. One holding a sparkler or watching the parade or eating a chunk of watermelon. After my kiddo was born, I vowed that he would be "that kid" one day. I know I am partial and that he is half grown now, but he was one of the cutest kids ever. I swear! So, in 1999 when he was three, we went to the Rodeo of the Ozarks Parade. He was wearing a blue shirt, red shorts and a huge Uncle Sam hat. Oh, he was a cutie! Everyone was waving at him - the Mayor said, "I like that hat, young man!" and Michelle Duggar (of the 17 Kids Duggars) came over to see him and tell me how sweet he was. Then I spied the Newspaper photographer walking the street scanning the crowds. I held my breath as she neared me. She stopped! In front of us! Looking at him! (If you are not a Mother, you just will not be enjoying this story) She kneeled down and stated snapping away. Score! She came over for his name and age and told me it was her picture for the 4th - guaranteed to be in the paper. Well, in my excitement, I failed to ask which paper. It ended up being on the front page of the newspaper that is delivered to the entire state. Fame!



Seriously, is he cute or what?

1 comment:

  1. How precious! Does he hate that picture now that he's nearly a teenager? Or is he proud of it?

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers