What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Yes! Yes! Yes!

It's been so long that I found myself nervous and all tingly just thinking about it. Would it be big? Or would it be small? I know some people say size doesn't really matter, but sometimes, bigger is best. I hoped for a big one, but really, it had been so long that I would settle for a small one. Sometimes a quickie is all you really need to fulfill your fantasies and needs.

You know I am talking about the first garage sale of the year right? What did you think I was talking about? Geez.

There was an advertised GARAGE SALE in town today. I was the first to arive as it was next door to the school and easy to get to - lucky me. Actually, these people have about four sales a year so I am familiar with their wares. I only spent $3.25 so it wasn't the "big one" I fantasized about. ;o) I did get a milk glass medicinal jar - 75¢, a "Fresh Produce" tote bag with lots of cubbies - 25¢, a "Guess How Much I Love You" bunny (love that book) - 25¢, piece of miniature pottery for my collection - 25¢, a copper aluminum Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutter from the 1950's - 50¢ and an old revolving Santa musical decoration - $1.00.

So, my fantasy is complete for a day. Spring is in the air and the garage and yard sales will be in full force.

Yes! Yes! Yes!
(I'll have what she's having....")

3 comments:

  1. Shara, you crack me up! :) I'm crazy jealous that you actually got to go to a garage sale! It's currently snowing (again) here and it feels like it might as well be January 2 instead of March 2. Even though it wasn't the 'big one' you don't want to strain anything so early in the season--better to start small and ease into things, LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:42 PM

    Shara: We all dream of the big one...but like Heidi said, you don't want to get too psyched too early; you have to ease back into it. Sounds like you got some neat things. What miniature for your collection did you get?

    No sales near my house this weekend, but more sales in the paper in general, so that is a good sign. Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. So dude check this out( Randy Jackson, get it?), I was trying to add a site meter, but couldn't figure out how to attach it to my blog. I highlighted the "addy", but where do I paste it? There is a "html" choice, but it doesn't add my meter, just the link itself. Maybe I am having a Homer Simpson moment, DOH!!!!

    More tutorial for the slow learner please.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers