What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Volley - Spike - Lob - Point

Volleyball practice started yesterday for DS. He was on the volleyball team last year and his team won first place in the tournament. Sports have never really been anything that he has had much interest in. But, when he was offered a chance to be on the volleyball team, we decided to try it. He loved it and had a great time. This is the Special Olympics Unified Volleyball Team. That means that for every special needs child there is a teammate to help them, encourage them and praise them. DS is a team mate. The PE teacher chose only certain kids that are respectful, loyal, accountable and reliable to help out. So, it was an honor for him to be chosen.

After a few practies, the coach (aka - PE Teacher) will pair them up to work together before they form their team. It is really a great thing to be a part of and witness the kids cheering on the special needs kids. One little girl spiked it ove the net yesterday for the first time and everyone just went wild high fiving her and congratulating her. She just beamed.

Last year DH and I went to the first practice to see what all it entailed. Since we were there and the PE teacher knows me she asked if we would help lob the ball to the kids. Well, one week led to the other and now I am being called "Coach" at practice. Hello - I am a MOM. Not a coach. So, it is "Miss Shara" to them. I am not a sport-sy person at all. Not one bit. Not a teeny bit. The kids throw me the ball and it rolls right between my feet and clear across the gym floor. And me, all of 5'2", is trying to chase it down and not fall flat on my face in front of the kids. The kids took pity on me and threw me the ball under the net rather than over the net so I could get it on the first bounce instead of chasing that stinking ball. But, I am very proud to be a part of this team and see these kids do such a fantastic job.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 PM

    Shara, good for you! It's one thing to teach tolerance and acceptance of those that are a little different from you, it's another thing to live it!

    Any chance you'd consider a parenting blog or maybe an advice columnist? I'm gonna need it once I have munchkins. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of Christopher for volunteering with S.O.. I wish more students(including my ds) would put more into volunteering. It is something you truly cannot push them to do. They need guidance, but giving unselfishly just comes more naturally for others.

    How do I know? I am a Special Olympics coach!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers