What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

How Many Watermelon Shaped Potholders Do You Have?

I have 29. Only my fellow thrifters will appreciate my love of such an odd little item! At the thrift this week I bought another crocheted potholder in the shape of a watermelon. I see them at the thrifts and at yard sales from time to time and I always pick them up for 10¢ or 25¢. Lots of time they just give it to me because I suspect they remember that their Granny made it. I feel like I need to save them. I can picture a little old lady crocheting one or a young girl learning how to crochet and making one of these potholders. I decided to get them out today and see just how many I had "saved" over they years. I must admit, I was surprsed to learn that I have 29 of them! I have them in all shades of red, pinks and even a couple yellows! There is a tiny one and a whole round slice and one without seeds. I even found this huge one one day at a sale for $1.00. I think it is a rug, but it is slicker than snot on the linoleoum and I fear I would crack my head open like, well, like a watermelon!



It has been raining buckets for over 24 hours. It is an absolute mess out there. The street is flooded and the ditch is flooded. But, no ice.....yet. They still say it's coming. But, it's still above freezing so far tonight. Oklahoma has it really bad so I am thinking we will get it too. We've got candles and the flashlights out where we can get to them easily. But, we usually don't ever lose power. We have an all electric house, so if we do lose power we are...well...screwed.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:59 PM

    I wonder if it's a rug for in front of the kitchen sink? I love your wacky collection! I can't remember ever seeing *one* of those, let alone 29!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can appreciate you wanting to save Grandma's knitted/crochet rugs and potholders, especially now that I know how long it takes to actually make something, let alone make it look like something (watermelon!). I'll have to keep my eye open for quirky potholders and rugs.

    lucy (1/2 of your partner in the swap..lol)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers